Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: OH-OH Where did my oil go?

Concerning loss through combustion, when I first bought the boat, I lost about 1/2 to 2/3 a quart of oil from each engine after a few hours of run time. I would refill the oil level to the "full" level on the dip stick each time. I mentioned this to my mechanic and he said not to refill it to the "full" mark. Notice where the "normal" level was after use and only fill to that level. I have been doing this for the past 4 years and my 8V71TI oil consumption has really decreased. The mechanic was right - the DDs will burn off the excess and find their own natural level.
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

2. Re: OH-OH Where did my oil go?

Skip makes a good point...had not thought of it because all the previous "oil use when full" I recall have been 71 series engines....so try running your 8V53's half way between full and refill and see if that solves the problem.

One theory is that the engine angle is different in different boats but the dipstick marks are all standard....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions.

I dont have allison trans so i dont think its going there. Tonight I am going to completly clean my bilges, degrease some of the sweat off the motors, put new diapers under the motors and run them up to temp. If there are no leaks then tomarrow I am going to take the boat out and literally run the "crap" out of it. I believe after reading every thing you all have posted my problem was probally caused by not running the engines hard enough. It seems strange to me that all of a sudden there is oil consumption in not just one but both motors. As far as the dipsticks finding there own level, remember when i first noticed it there was no oil on either dip stick.
    I will post my results and again thanks
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

OK Here we go. Tuesday night I cleaned all the oil and residue out of my bilges below the engines. I also discovered that in my panic the night i discovered the oil was missing that i had overfilled both engines by almost two quarts. It must take a real long time for the oil to drain back down. After degreasing the bilges and engines i papered the entire area with new diapers. I also checked the trans fluid and it was at the correct level. I checked the antifreeze and there was no oil in there. The boat does not have oil coolers so it didnt leak thru there.
    The next morning I ran the boat up to temp then checked for leaks. There werent any other than some seepage from the port engine valve cover. (That must be where the pint every three hours goes). I took the boat out and the first time i put it up on a plane a lot of white smoke came out (first time I saw this) but disappeared shortly after. I ran the boat at 2500 rpms for about 30 minutes and after that it didnt smoke at all when throttling up. I did this 5 more times.
    Back at the dock i waited about three hours and there was still no oil under the engines and the oil level hadn't moved.
    I am still at a loss as to where it went and i quess i will continue to moniter it.
    thanks again for all your help
    Art
    Trouble
    43DCFB DC-306
    AYC NY

Know this sounds stupid, but you have to pull the dip stick twice. You will get a false reading if you pull it once when the engine is cold. At least I do On my 8/71's. Also these engines use about a quart of oil every 8 hours and much more if your running at higher rpms.

Quote Originally Posted by TROUBLE View Post
    OK Here we go. Tuesday night I cleaned all the oil and residue out of my bilges below the engines. I also discovered that in my panic the night i discovered the oil was missing that i had overfilled both engines by almost two quarts. It must take a real long time for the oil to drain back down. After degreasing the bilges and engines i papered the entire area with new diapers. I also checked the trans fluid and it was at the correct level. I checked the antifreeze and there was no oil in there. The boat does not have oil coolers so it didnt leak thru there.
    The next morning I ran the boat up to temp then checked for leaks. There werent any other than some seepage from the port engine valve cover. (That must be where the pint every three hours goes). I took the boat out and the first time i put it up on a plane a lot of white smoke came out (first time I saw this) but disappeared shortly after. I ran the boat at 2500 rpms for about 30 minutes and after that it didnt smoke at all when throttling up. I did this 5 more times.
    Back at the dock i waited about three hours and there was still no oil under the engines and the oil level hadn't moved.
    I am still at a loss as to where it went and i quess i will continue to moniter it.
    thanks again for all your help
    Art
    It is normal for these engines at 1500rpms to use a little over a quart per 8hr running time. They use more of course at higher rpms.As noted below the first time you pull the dip stick , at least on my boat you get a false high reading of the oil level. The second time you pull the stick you will get a lower reading. Don't ask me why.

If you blacketed the bottom of the engines and arn't leaking oil, praise the Deisel Gods you have one of the few dd's that don't.