Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Detroit Diesel/Norton Motorcycles - Kindred spirits...

65 Mustang for me. Been sitting in the covered side yard for 10 years. Haven't yet found the time...

I have a '69 4.2 E-type sitting alongside the garage where it's been since around 1994. I did a lot of frame/body work but the last time I touched it was probably 5 years ago. I used to say that I'd finish it eventually. Now I think it's more likely that I won't.

For me it is a 1963 Mercedes 230 SL. It is serial number 24, and the first 23 were kept in Europe. Thus it was the first one shipped to N.A. I bought it three years ago and it spent the first year getting restored. Nice car to drive.

Over the years there has been a 1967 mustang convert, a 1970 cutlass convert, 1974 Camaro (my first car), a really fun Porsche 924 (cheap but great), an older capri, a 2000 CLK 320 convert, and many other cars and trucks - but those were the ones that were most fun. Also had several bikes and currently have a Yamaha V-Star (you may laugh, but I chose it to save $20K over the Harley I really wanted and I have not regretted it for a moment).

My current daily driver is a 2003 Navigator. Two years old and 24 visits to the dealership. I wrote Lincoln yesterday asking them to buy it back or give me a new one. I've had previous Explorers, Expeditions and Navigators - none were great, but this one takes the cake. Unfortunately, Canada does not have any lemon laws. I expect them to tell me to go away.

Murray
    Last edited by first230sl; 05-16-2005 at 06:21 PM.
    --
    Murray G.
    Vancouver, Canada
    1971 58 YF

Wink Re: Detroit Diesel/Norton Motorcycles - Kindred spirits...

Well....right now I have a 2004 Triumph Bonneville, plus two vintage bikes, a 1975 Norton and a 1982 Triumph. Cars: a 69 280SL, a "1972" classic Mini-Cooper which somehow ended up with a 2000-spec engine, interior and emission control system, plus airbag, a 71 6.3 Mercedes, a '90 Ferrari Mondial...but the big project is a GT40 which will be the newest original Mark 1 car when it's done. It's been four years in gestation and not done yet. And this doesn't count old Fender amps, B3 Hammonds and related bits, etc. And now you know why I'm single...who'd put up with all this? I have to say, after the GT40 I'm done with it all....but there's an E-type that I've been eying that's for sale....

Fender TUBE amps, I hope! Transisters are to sound what sand is to engine bearings.

Triumph Spitfires 1962,1976,1977,1978
    Attached Images
    Doug Langley, Forum Admin
    Sam's Marine International
    http://www.samsmarine.com

Nice E Type Pascal...looks good in Silver, I thought you had a later one? that looks like a 67-71?..been a while though

I thought I was a the biggest mechanical masocist with my 58 and my 65 Lincoln Continental Key West (4dr convert) but I see I have been far outclassed!!...

Jim has one of my favorites..a 6.3.....what a great machine, and nobody has a clue what it is..that air suspension locks that car to the road...used to eat lots of tires though!

Quote Originally Posted by admiralty58
    Nice E Type Pascal...looks good in Silver, I thought you had a later one? that looks like a 67-71?..been a while though
    72 2+2, V12. number of upgrades like 5 speed,suspension, MSD... extrmely reliable car believe it or not... I often drive it on long trips, usually non stop with short naps in rest areas... 2years ago, I drove 10k miles in a month with a trip to phoenix and a couple of weeks later a week end in Limerock CT. Never misses a beat... jsut like hte Hatt :-)
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

It does eat tires, but it eats fuel even more. For an old car, it goes fast.

Jim,

My bike was a 1951 Triumph 650 hardtail (spring hub). The old Triumphs really rip.

Doug Shuman