Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Cleaning Walker Air-Sep Filters

I've got about 100 hours on my Air-Seps. They are not really dirty but I would like to clean them up for the sake of good PM.

Walker specifies that only their name brand cleaner should be used. I suspect there are generic cleaners which would work just as well. Anyone have any suggestions or experience with this?

Re: Cleaning Walker Air-Sep Filters

I'm cleaning mine tomorrow. It's my understanding that the filter element is from K&N and their cleaning process is: Spray the filter with K&N filter cleaner (It's just a soap and water mix in a spray bottle) and let soak 10 minutes. With a garden hose, spray clean from the inside out, let air dry (do not use an air hose) then re-oil. I use the K&N filter oil but it seems to be just a light weight oil, tinted to ensure complete coverage. Mike

From the Walker cleaning kit: They say to brush off with a soft brush and then spray with the cleaner (contains sodium metasilicate) and let it soak in for 10 minutes. Then rinse off with tap water, butg don't spray hard. Let it air dry, letting it sit in the sun is good. When dry, add a small amount of the oil all along the top of each pleat and let it wick into the cotton. After 20 minutes, add a small amount of oil to any white spots where the oil has not wicked in.
    The oil is mineral oil. They say don't use motor oil, ATF, diesel fuel, WD40 or any light weight oil. Of course, they want to sell you their kit.

Doug Shuman

4. Re: Cleaning Walker Air-Sep Filters

Sodium Metasillicate eh? Zep 505 (available at Home Depot) has that in it, and it works VERY well on soot-coated elements (used it myself) - it should be fine on regular ones too. About $10 for a gallon - that ought to last you a while....

BTW, don't breathe that stuff - its nasty.

I took the advice of using 505 it works great. Did it about to weeks ago. Just spray it down with K n N oil treatment when your done. Let them dry good. Thanks for the advice.

Does Sams have the K&N?

7. Re: Cleaning Walker Air-Sep Filters

You can find the spray oil for K&N at any of the auto parts joints that sell the filters. advanced auto, pep boys, etc...