Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Water intrusion

Water intrusion

On our 1986 43 MY I have been dealing with clean water coming, from who knows where, under the engines. This water is trapped by the two bulkheads and thus must be manually removed. It appears that it happens mostly in rougher seas. any thoughts?
    Thanks
    Werner MIRAGE

Re: Water intrusion

I had the same problem on my 43 DCMY. In my case I found that the drain tube that runs from the aft bilge, through the engine bay, into the midships bilge had a hole in it. The rudder stuffing boxes were leaking. That water was running forward, through the tube in the engine bay, with a small amount leaking through the hole in the tube. Once I tightened the packing nut on the rudder posts and fixed the hole in the drain tube the problem was fixed.

You mention that the water under your engines is fresh water, so if you are in salt water leaking stuffing boxes would not be the problem. However, you could have a leak from anywhere forward of the engine that would put water in the engine bay if that drain tube in the bay has a hole and the boat is running at an attitude that has water running aft.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

I had the same problem on my 43 DCMY. In my case I found that the drain tube that runs from the aft bilge, through the engine bay, into the midships bilge had a hole in it. The rudder stuffing boxes were leaking. That water was running forward, through the tube in the engine bay, with a small amount leaking through the hole in the tube. Once I tightened the packing nut on the rudder posts and fixed the hole in the drain tube the problem was fixed.

You mention that the water under your engines is fresh water, so if you are in salt water leaking stuffing boxes would not be the problem. However, you could have a leak from anywhere forward of the engine that would put water in the engine bay if that drain tube in the bay has a hole and the boat is running at an attitude that has water running aft.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

You might check to see if condensate draining from one of the A/C units in making its way into this bilge.

Quote Originally Posted by DCMY #92 View Post
    You might check to see if condensate draining from one of the A/C units in making its way into this bilge.
    Yes, this issue was covered a year or so ago under the concept of 'mystery' water. The AC units will generate a lot of water in hot weather. Hatt later shipped that water into seachests for pumping overboard. Earlier, it was dumped to the bilge to appear as the mystery water.

In my case, a '72 43DC, I chased such a leak, as you mention, for 5 years, but in fresh water. Is was such a slow rate of leak that it could not be 'seen'. But it would leak a couple gallons over a week with all seacocks closed. Eventually it was traced to a thru hull whose bedding had a very slight leak. The thru hull was pulled, while on the hard, and rebedded. No leaks/issues since.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

I had the same problem recently. It turned out to be a split in the bilge pump hose in the aft shower gray water box. When the box filled and overflowed the water made its way under the stbd engine.
    Art

I had the hole in the water drain tube as well. Looked to be intentionally made. Sealed it off and now the water goes where its supposed to and is pumped out via the mid section bilge pump. My water comes from weeping rudder shafts and the aft a/c.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"