Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Need the name of the type of glass in a Hatt

My maintenance guy just broke two side windows on my LRC while I was trying to dock. Need to know what the glass is called. I remember it was something like Solas or something.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Buddy

Re: Need the name of the type of glass in a Hatt

Hi All,

Buddy,

What a crying shame.....had something similar happen to me once when I was having the boat moved in FL. The licensed captain sideswiped a concrete barrier, thankfully only a few scratches that could be buffed out.......anywho

If your LRC is like my 1974 48' Yachtfish, its called 1/4" laminated Solex PPG tinted.

See the two threads below, it's discussed at length.

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ighlight=solex

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...ighlight=solex
    Last edited by lumina; 06-20-2012 at 06:05 PM.
    Gene
    Former Owner 1974 Hatteras Yachtfish
    Glittering Image

Hull # 50
    Total Production 1972-1975 Sixty Four

Our 1973 43 DCMY had clear 1/4" laminated Solex PPG. We replaced it all in 2009 with the same product lightly tinted. Any good glass shop should carry it.
    Bill Root, USCG 100 Ton Master, Near Coastal
    MV BUFFALO GAL
    1988 54' MY

Thanks Guys,
    He is taking the glass up to Homestead today to have them replaced. The glass shop in Marathon told him it would be two weeks before they could get the glass. He found out it was Solex before I could get a response. As soon as I heard the name I remembered. Thanks again. Maybe it will get put in before the rain hits.
    captbuddy

In the other strings on glass replacement, there is a recurring mention of corner cracks. These would most likely be caused by stress from the glass not having sufficient clearance in the aluminum housing. When I had my glass cut first couple of times, the glass shop seemed to cut it just a tiny bit bigger than the pattern. So the new glass did not last too long before cracking. Last time around I watched for that and even made the glass shop grind off the excess before I accepted the product. So that piece has been installed with no cracking for many years now.