Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Hybrid View

53 MY Bomar aft portlights question

I'm pulling the two portlights in our transom to correct some seepage but have a question re the two pins holding the plastic window portion. The pins have holes down the center and at first I thought they might have had hex-heads and unscrewed but it doesn't appear that way. I tapped on them but they didn't move. Before I tap a lot harder, I just thought I'd ask if that is the proper method...

Just a side note, the plastic "windows" were opaque yellow-orange and I thought they were supposed to be that way. But a friend at the marina said they will polish clear with regular plastic polish. I said, "No, not these." But I was wrong - in 20 minutes I had windows that I could see through for the first time since we have owned the boat (6 years).
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: 53 MY Bomar aft portlights question

I think Sky has replaced his with glass. He should be able to tell you how to remove them.

I tried polishing mine, with not much success. What exactly did you do?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

As far as cleaning, I just used Finesse-it II for about 10 minutes on each port which I have also recently started using on my isinglass. I didn't really care enough about having see-through portlights to replace the plastic with glass but I was pleased to end up with reasonably clear windows.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Here's the before/after:

Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike,
    The pins will push out. You have to tap them pretty hard. I did replace my plexi with tempered glass. It cleans up much easier and looks great.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"