Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My rolly polly Hatt offshore

So sat night we ran down to fish off jupiter for our first summer sword trip. Laying in 4-6' slop we were getting eaten up by hammerheads about 2 am we got slammed by a wall of water hit the side of the boat so hard it shot spray clear up to the tower flooded the cockpit picked a 80w up out of the rod holder which fortunatly landed in the cockpit. when all was said and done the sliding door is now jammed and there is a split in the back bulkhead busted the back window to boot. I was worried about the engines coming off the mounts but everything looks fine broke the shaft couplings loose this morn and are still in alignment.
    Attached Images
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Re: My rolly polly Hatt offshore

Wow, hard hit.

Good thing it wasn't a Bayliner or it would be living up to it's name.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

hit you hard man good thing it didnt capsize you

4. Re: My rolly polly Hatt offshore

Wow!! I hate nightime runs in rough water..

If your cockpit to aft bulkhead fiberglass is anything like that aboard my former 1972 48 YF, you'll find it's rather light. Mine was cracked in a similar spot on either side when I bought the boat, entirely vertical and about ten or 12 inches in length, where the inner cockpit meets the aft section of the upper sold hull. I thought the cracks were possibly structural until I dremeled them out and found that were only maybe 3/16" or 1/4" thick....more a cosmetic covering board than anything structural.

I routed out the cracks, used an epoxy thickened mix to fill the voids and after about eight or nine years the former cracks remain invisible...It was actually easy to repair, but sanding in corners, done by hand, took most of the repair time and was boring as the dickens.

I still remember where I did that work, anchored between Tuckernuck Island and Madaket off the westen end of Nantucket Island. I had gone there to see the summer seal colony, but the fog was so thick on the ocean side I knew I'd never find anything. Same the the next day, so I again worked the repair a few hours daily. About a month later I returned again from my stay in Nantucket Harbor with guests....and bingo we found the seals right away in beautiful clear weather....For those Hatt owners who boat there, Tuckernuck Island harbor is an isolated idyllic spot, well protected, 100 feet inside the sand beach from the Atlantic....I have only ever seen one other boat anchored there when I was!!!
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

As someone who doesn't fish much, I'm wondering how often you guys get hit by these rogue waves? Fishing in canyons and other underwater geographically peculiar must have allot of potential of building a big wave fast. Thank God you, your crew, and your boat are OK.

This is great example of why you (fisherman) choose Hatteras and actually benefit from their quality construction. Were you awake when wave hit you?

Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Wow, hard hit.

Good thing it wasn't a Bayliner or it would be living up to it's name.
    when i was a kid the crap boats were Revel craft and Broadwaters they were worse than Bayliners and searays
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by sgharford View Post
    As someone who doesn't fish much, I'm wondering how often you guys get hit by these rogue waves? Fishing in canyons and other underwater geographically peculiar must have allot of potential of building a big wave fast. Thank God you, your crew, and your boat are OK.

This is great example of why you (fisherman) choose Hatteras and actually benefit from their quality construction. Were you awake when wave hit you?

If you watch the waves they most times come in sets of 6 with the 7th larger than the rest Ive fished in some big seas but usualy the "oh s**ters' are the ones that are not tall but open up like a hole in front of you the boat feels like its falling and when you get to the bottom of the trough the bow burries and the boat just seems to sit there and shudder. I think the wave we took on sat was from a cruise ship that blew by us about 20 min before that combined with the sea state made a steep one.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

[QUOTE=rsmith;162303 about 2 am we got slammed by a wall of water hit the side of the boat so hard it shot spray clear up to the tower flooded the cockpit picked a 80w up out of the rod holder which fortunatly landed in the cockpit. .[/QUOTE]

--and we call this "pleasure boating?"

9. Re: My rolly polly Hatt offshore

I've been nailed by one of those offshore before - at night. The really ugly ones don't give much if any warning and as noted above just look like a "hole" that opens up on you.

There are times you're glad you're in a Hatt. This is one of them.

Glad your damage wasn't serious and all are ok..... when the rods get picked up out of the holders, THAT'S serious.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Reminds me of The JFK'S shakedown cruise out of the Chesepeake Bay in the late 60's. Captain was running near max speed out of the bay creating monstrous waves. Many boats were swamped. We were on a charter boat in the 30ish range . It went straight up what seemed like forever and then straight down. This several times. The Captain of The JFK was released after that.
    Fred
    31 Tiara Open
    "Escalation"