Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

53 MY Bomar aft portlights question

I'm pulling the two portlights in our transom to correct some seepage but have a question re the two pins holding the plastic window portion. The pins have holes down the center and at first I thought they might have had hex-heads and unscrewed but it doesn't appear that way. I tapped on them but they didn't move. Before I tap a lot harder, I just thought I'd ask if that is the proper method...

Just a side note, the plastic "windows" were opaque yellow-orange and I thought they were supposed to be that way. But a friend at the marina said they will polish clear with regular plastic polish. I said, "No, not these." But I was wrong - in 20 minutes I had windows that I could see through for the first time since we have owned the boat (6 years).
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Re: 53 MY Bomar aft portlights question

I think Sky has replaced his with glass. He should be able to tell you how to remove them.

I tried polishing mine, with not much success. What exactly did you do?
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

As far as cleaning, I just used Finesse-it II for about 10 minutes on each port which I have also recently started using on my isinglass. I didn't really care enough about having see-through portlights to replace the plastic with glass but I was pleased to end up with reasonably clear windows.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Here's the before/after:

Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Mike,
    The pins will push out. You have to tap them pretty hard. I did replace my plexi with tempered glass. It cleans up much easier and looks great.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks Sky!
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Does the inner portion of the portlight (the part with the hinged portion) just push into the cabin from the outside once all the through bolts are removed, with the only thing holding it being the caulk between it and the external portion of the portlight? Mine does not want to do that (push inward) but I have not yet removed/cut all the caulk.
    Mike P
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I can't answer that as I just removed the pins and the ring that holds the glass, not the frame. My frames were repainted in place.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI