Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Re: 1989 Hatteras 70' MY soon to be REPO

It is the boat but the video is not current. I doubt they are in shorts now!

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    It is the boat but the video is not current. I doubt they are in shorts now!
    Boat was repo'd in late June '10. The pics are dated 6/30/10. The video was probably shot the same day. You can see some of the same guys in the pics and the video.
    Jack Sardina

In the sea trial video, she seems to be leaving a bit of a gray fog on the horizon. That's perhaps something to look at.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

It's a great deal...... It's a bad deal. Both are correct

From the pictures it looks pretty good and we all are aware of how much those boats were selling for just a few years ago. The only problem that I see, which is IMO a hugh problem is that even if you buy the boat for a song, can you really afford to do a complete refit? So many folks have great visions of sailing off into the sunset with a multi million yacht but lose sight of the fact that it takes usually as much as you paid for the boat to get it into the condition it deserves. Assuming you allowed for that, don't forget the real cost of keeping such a large boat, particularily in the manner it should have become accostomed to in it's former life. The maintainance costs get disproportunately higher with size. Don't forget insurance, dockage, mechanical repairs, fuel is more and the beat goes on. Nice dream however.....

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    It's a great deal...... It's a bad deal. Both are correct

From the pictures it looks pretty good and we all are aware of how much those boats were selling for just a few years ago. The only problem that I see, which is IMO a hugh problem is that even if you buy the boat for a song, can you really afford to do a complete refit? So many folks have great visions of sailing off into the sunset with a multi million yacht but lose sight of the fact that it takes usually as much as you paid for the boat to get it into the condition it deserves. Assuming you allowed for that, don't forget the real cost of keeping such a large boat, particularily in the manner it should have become accostomed to in it's former life. The maintainance costs get disproportunately higher with size. Don't forget insurance, dockage, mechanical repairs, fuel is more and the beat goes on. Nice dream however.....

Walt
    That boat can consume $200K-$300K for breakfast.
    Jack Sardina

In the end paying a premium for a turn key bristol boat is always the cheapest in the long run.

In the end paying a premium for a turn key bristol boat is always the cheapest in the long run.

It's the lure of the cheap deal that often bites you in the a**.
    Jack Sardina

Well Said.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

You're correct Dave but even a "turn key" boat needs lots of expensive TLC after the purchase which is what many folks seem to forget. That's why so many boats are in great need of work... the owners very often bite off more than they bargained for and the result is "deferred maintaince" or put another way it's called neglect. As Jack said that 70 and most others as well can eat up some big bucks in a hurry in order to stay pristine. That's why the so called rule that it will cost about 10% of the cost of the boat for annual maintainance really only applies to what the cost of the respective boat would have cost new. Ten percent of our subject boat with a sale price of $200 K is 20 grand. There is no way that a boat like that can be properly taken care of including insurance, dockage, routine maintaince, fuel....etc. for 20 grand or even double that amount.

Walt

I agree. Even when you really do your diligence and buy the absolute best boat you can find- AND survey it thoroughly- you can still get your butt handed to you. These are such complex machines that even very good surveyors can miss plenty. And it doesn't take long, on a 70fit Hatteras, to put together a list of needs that can easily total forty or fifty grand. Not counting painting, decorating, etc etc. There is a reason big older boats are cheap now, and it's because the cost of working on them hasn't gone down- if anything, it's gone up.

Mind you, it WOULD be fun to own, on that day when everything was working right, and you anchored out with all your friends....sure sounds like fun....