Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Re: 1989 Hatteras 70' MY soon to be REPO

Quote Originally Posted by surfshark View Post
    Good advice Jack . I suggest anyone who deals with a liquidator should be represented by a good broker . Those repo boats never have a full 10% commission in them but many brokers will still be willing to help you out. Good news about the 1989 Hatteras 70' repo is that it is being handled by the Ohio office of National Marine. The Florida office tends to have rude employees .
    I've been mislead by both.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by Hatattack View Post
    Hell of alot of boat for $400k
    I thought this Burger wasn't too shabby at $400k min. bid, but it is older with DD-N engines.

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=5985
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    I thought this Burger wasn't too shabby at $400k min. bid, but it is older with DD-N engines.

http://www.yachtauctions.com/listing.php?vessel=5985

That boat was docked next to my boat in the covered slips at Bradford Marine in Ft. Lauderdale. Let me tell you, that boat is CLEAN! It was priced at $795k a year ago. The paint shines and the varnish was in great shape as well. The older Detroits are the least of the concerns with that boat, what other engines would one expect in an older motoryacht anyway? They are perfect for running that boat efficiently at hull speed until the end of time because nobody is going to run that boat around on plane. Most of the boats here on the HOF have Detroits and they do just fine. The real issue with this Burger is the ALUMINUM HULL. Nobody (without very deep pockets) wants to deal with the headaches and high maintenance of an aluminum hull in a salt water environment. I looked into them last year when I was in the market for a bigger boat simply because there is so much bang for the buck in the big aluminum boat market, but that is exactly why they are so cheap. They are only cheap to buy, they are VERY expensive to maintain. It loks like keeping that boat up so well put the owner into hock and he lost his boat. OUCH! Fiberglass is the way to go!

It sure is a nice boat though!
    Byron
    "Sweet Melissa"
    Trident 78' Motoryacht
    www.SweetMelissa.info

Previously Owned Hatteras:
    1969 36C Hull #36C331
    1967 41TC Hull #41TC55
    1972 58YF Hull #58YF324

Quote Originally Posted by surfshark View Post
    Good news about the 1989 Hatteras 70' repo is that it is being handled by the Ohio office of National Marine. The Florida office tends to have rude employees .
    From personal experience on a few differant occasions, I would find it hard to believe that the Florida office could be anywhere near as Rude as the Ohio office.
    Last edited by Xmeter; 12-21-2010 at 10:59 AM. Reason: Spelling
    Jerry

Unhappy Re: 1989 Hatteras 70' MY soon to be REPO

You are right, I offered 200k and they accepted it. Unfortunately, the boatyard forgot to winterize it. Waiting to see what got damaged. Anybody delt with a frozen boat and what to look for?

Quote Originally Posted by Russ View Post
    You are right, I offered 200k and they accepted it. Unfortunately, the boatyard forgot to winterize it. Waiting to see what got damaged. Anybody delt with a frozen boat and what to look for?
    I doubt they forgot to do it. Most likely the bank has been holding off on spending the cash to do it. Lots to look out for. You may have to remove wall panels and cabinetry to get to fresh water leaks. Problem here is you don't know what you're dealing with until you start fixing the leaks that show up first. If the engines have adequate antifreeze in the FW side than that is no problem. The raw water side is another story and all those pipes and components can be very expensive. I would definitely have a good Detroit guy do a thorough survey on them.
    Jack Sardina

Where is the boat located? I'm in Cleveland if you need a set of eyes, camera, or some leads on survey guys.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

When I saw that boat had been hauled, I was questioning whether she had been winterized. With as cold as it has been in Maryland, boats on land are the most vulnerable. Beyond the major component damage that is likely, there could be all sorts of annoying little stuff that is broken now. Think about all the little plastic/electric valves that let the water into the clothes washer, dishwasher, icemakers. It's tough to predict what you might face when you sort through the machinery and systems.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    When I saw that boat had been hauled, I was questioning whether she had been winterized. With as cold as it has been in Maryland, boats on land are the most vulnerable. Beyond the major component damage that is likely, there could be all sorts of annoying little stuff that is broken now. Think about all the little plastic/electric valves that let the water into the clothes washer, dishwasher, icemakers. It's tough to predict what you might face when you sort through the machinery and systems.

Freezing breaks a valve in the icemaker. Now that makes my head hurt.

After fixing a few improperly winterized vessels ( smaller and less complex) I found the only way is to completely replace the FW system. Some heads hide cracks too. It's a big job.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Freezing breaks a valve in the icemaker. Now that makes my head hurt.

After fixing a few improperly winterized vessels ( smaller and less complex) I found the only way is to completely replace the FW system. Some heads hide cracks too. It's a big job.
    It only takes one really cold night to screw things up and it has been very cold this year. If she is back in the water, it MIGHT not be that bad. If she is still on the hard and there has been a hard freeze then you'll have a mess to deal with. If the heads are FW flush then they'll need to be checked and most likely repaired. Hopefully the FW tanks weren't left full or else they may be cracked. Problem here is you can't tell what you're dealing with until you pressurize the system and start fixing things. Many leaks won't show if you have low water pressure. Others will be hard to find if they are in areas that have limited or no access. You could be looking at a $100 repair or a $10,000 one. And that doesn't include your engines and generators. Don't forget to check all the AC units. They should drain and be OK depending on the plumbing set up. You also need to check all seacocks. If they were left closed and full of water, you'll be changing them too. Make sure you do a very thorough survey and inform the surveyor of the situation well ahead of time. Spend some extra cash on the hull and mechanical surveys or you might be sorry later. Have you seen the boat yet? She looked pretty rough from the photos I saw. ER and bilges looked like there was little to no maintenance. That 200K bargain may cost you much more than she is worth after you're done fixing and updating. If you don't have all the detailed photos send me a PM and I'll see if I can dig them up. Keep in mind those are high output 12V71's and those hours, particularly on the starboard engine are high.

FWIW I looked at a 54C that is in Kent Island MD that has freeze damage to the FW system. That boat is still in the water and the damage occurred in Nov. long before the real cold days we are having now.

I'd look at this one. I don't know this boat but she seems to be a better deal than the one you're looking at.
    http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi..._id=15344&url=
    Last edited by saltshaker; 01-03-2011 at 10:46 AM.
    Jack Sardina