Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: HIN location

HIN location

I am trying to find the HIN on a 1965 34' Hatteras Delux Sportfisherman. Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: HIN location

Look in the anchor locker or the underside of drawers. You may have to call Hatteras with the number on the bottom of one of the drawers to get the actual hull number. They can look up those numbers.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

HIN numbers were not applied to the stern of boats in the US until about 1972 when it became the law. I have inspected hundreds of boats over the years as part of the USCGAUX vessel safety check program and I have occasionally come across a newer (1972 to present) boat that someone had either sanded off or filled the HIN. If a boat had it from the factory and does not have it now that vessel is in violation of current law and a safety decal cannot be issued. I know that many inspectors overlook these details but the final responsibility is with the boat owner. In the meantime to answer your original question, I agree with the previous post to look under the drawers and/or contact the factory. The owners manual, if you have it will have the number as well, so if you call the factory have the number ready for them and they will probably be able to look it up in their archives and tell you the location of the HIN which should be located somewhere inside the boat.

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I am trying to find the HIN on a 1965 34' Hatteras Delux Sportfisherman. Any advice would be appreciated.

I remember seeing ours (65' 34) written in crayon on the inside of the flybridge
    it was sc157 there were two trunk cabin models sport cruiser and deluxe fisherman I never could figure the differences between the two of cource there was the sedan which had the flybrige on the aft part of the deck house.Ive only seen a couple of those.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    I remember seeing ours (65' 34) written in crayon on the inside of the flybridge
    it was sc157 there were two trunk cabin models sport cruiser and deluxe fisherman I never could figure the differences between the two of cource there was the sedan which had the flybrige on the aft part of the deck house.Ive only seen a couple of those.
    I was thinking same thing what is a Deluxe fisherman?
    Did Hatteras call them that or is it a name that just came about?
    Never seen it in any paper work.

As said above Draw # then gets you Hull # thats how I got mine.
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    I was thinking same thing what is a Deluxe fisherman?
    Did Hatteras call them that or is it a name that just came about?
    Never seen it in any paper work.

As said above Draw # then gets you Hull # thats how I got mine.

somewhere i have the origional 1965 brochure from when we bought the 34(my dad bought it new) it had pics of the sc and df but didnt elaborate on the differences.
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by Walter P View Post
    HIN numbers were not applied to the stern of boats in the US until about 1972 when it became the law. I have inspected hundreds of boats over the years as part of the USCGAUX vessel safety check program and I have occasionally come across a newer (1972 to present) boat that someone had either sanded off or filled the HIN. If a boat had it from the factory and does not have it now that vessel is in violation of current law and a safety decal cannot be issued. I know that many inspectors overlook these details but the final responsibility is with the boat owner. In the meantime to answer your original question, I agree with the previous post to look under the drawers and/or contact the factory. The owners manual, if you have it will have the number as well, so if you call the factory have the number ready for them and they will probably be able to look it up in their archives and tell you the location of the HIN which should be located somewhere inside the boat.

Walt

Back during the height of the drug wars Bob Roscioli who later went on to build the large donzi's had his 53C confiscated by a overzelous Broward County Fla sheriff dept because when the boat was painted the # were unreadable. Even though he was able to prove the boat was his the confiscation laws had no leeway and he never got the boat back.

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    somewhere i have the origional 1965 brochure from when we bought the 34(my dad bought it new) it had pics of the sc and df but didnt elaborate on the differences.
    If you can find it could you scan it and post it?
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

Quote Originally Posted by 34Hatt View Post
    If you can find it could you scan it and post it?

sure

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976