Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Trolling valve questions

I think I understand the idea behind trolling valves -- a way to release pressure on the engines turbo'd up for high HP that spend a lot of time at troll.

I guess this is a must for charter boats that troll 1000 hours a year.

What about for boats that will spend a few hundred hours a year at either troll or trawl pleasure cruise speed in the ICW for example?

And what kind of install cost are we looking at?

Re: Trolling valve questions

I'm no expert on these but my understanding is trolling valves allow the boat to troll at a speed that is slower than idle speed or allow you to increase RPMS slightly above idle. I don't think trolling valves would be used for slow cruising unless you want to cruise exceptionally slow. I have them on my Twin Disc gears but never hooked them up. I believe max rpm is 800 with the valves engaged. Running at faster engine speeds can damage the gears. Not all transmissions can be fitted with the valves so if they are a must for you then be sure the gears will accept them. Most of these older Hatts have Allison gears which do not use trolling valves.
    Jack Sardina

Quote Originally Posted by saltshaker View Post
    I'm no expert on these but my understanding is trolling valves allow the boat to troll at a speed that is slower than idle speed or allow you to increase RPMS slightly above idle. I don't think trolling valves would be used for slow cruising unless you want to cruise exceptionally slow. I have them on my Twin Disc gears but never hooked them up. I believe max rpm is 800 with the valves engaged. Running at faster engine speeds can damage the gears. Not all transmissions can be fitted with the valves so if they are a must for you then be sure the gears will accept them. Most of these older Hatts have Allison gears which do not use trolling valves.

the trolling valves are for the higher hp boats with a lots of pitch in the props. they couldnt get the idle speeds low enough even for slow speed areas( but officer 15kts is my idle speed) mostly they are needed for live baiting sailfish where you have to keep the boat into the wind and are steadly putting the boat in and out of gear to maintain a 1-2 kt slo troll . Same thing with deepdrop fishing over in the Bahamas the line must be maintaind straight down because when your dropping 1000'+ any angle to the line will cause a large error in your targeted fishing depth
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    the trolling valves are for the higher hp boats with a lots of pitch in the props. they couldnt get the idle speeds low enough even for slow speed areas( but officer 15kts is my idle speed) mostly they are needed for live baiting sailfish where you have to keep the boat into the wind and are steadly putting the boat in and out of gear to maintain a 1-2 kt slo troll . Same thing with deepdrop fishing over in the Bahamas the line must be maintaind straight down because when your dropping 1000'+ any angle to the line will cause a large error in your targeted fishing depth

So to clarify, the valves are for the slow trolling -- not the fast troll or the trawl?

Quote Originally Posted by C. Edmund View Post
    So to clarify, the valves are for the slow trolling -- not the fast troll or the trawl?

slooooooooooooooow trol l1-5kts
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976

we dont trawl not inless youve got the 75 Hatteras shrimp trawler. LOL I was on one once in '74 down in lauderdale I dont know how many were made but it would make one hell of a long range yacht conversion

Endless Summer
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976