Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Re: Battery Box Replacement

The Hatteras OEM boxes are not USCG approved cause they do not have covers that restrain the batteries if the boat rolls over.
    The Hatteras boxes in my LRC where fiberglass molded then epoxied onto a 3/4 plywood support. They had to be pryed off when the plywood went bad. I made replacements out of plywood and fiberglass with tops to replace them. However I think the store bought ones are better, made entirely of plastic.
    Skooch
    Worotn Creek MD
    42 Hatteras LRC

Thanks all. Anybody else removed and replaced these boxes? What was your experience?

It does look as though the old fiberglass boxes are epoxied to the deck. They are very solidly attached, that's for sure. These boxes are original to the boat (1985). Epoxy sounds reasonable and I assume there are no screws in the bottom.... It does not appear that the plywood deck under-layment is segmented. Therefore, it doesn't look as though the boxes and plywood under the boxes could be removed in panels.

In order to get out the old boxes, do you have to cut-out the old plywood altogether and replace?

Paul
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

I had to pry the old boxes off with a hammer and a big pry bar. They came off in pieces and took some plywood with them. It looked like Hatteras just set them down on a piece of wetted out roving to mount them.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Years ago I removed four 8-D original boxes from the plywood floor between the engines on my then 1980 43 DC. I used some long shanked wood chisels to pop the boxes off the wood. There was some plywood on the bottom of the boxes and some fibreglass still attached to the plywood floor. Epoxy and fibreglass cloth soon took care of both issues. I fabricated new platforms outboard of each engine with 3/4" plywood encapsulated in fibreglass and re-attached the rebuilt OEM boxes on a layer of wet (with epoxy) glass cloth. It worked fine.

Walt

Just curious what happened to your old bat boxes that require replacement ?
    Jim

The boxes in my 79 46c were all molded fiberglass glassed on plywood shelves. Odd thing is shower sump pan under v-berth was exact same box, just had a bilge pump in it. Replaced mine with Blue Seas boxes. Also relocated centerline boxes in E/R too outboard of stbd. engine. Replaced shower sump with Rule plastic shower sump assy. Very pleased with Blue Seas boxes.

Many thanks for all these replys! I am going with the dual Todd boxes.

Jim, the tops of the battery boxes are pretty much in shambles -- one was missing when I bought the boat nearly 4 years ago and the others are in poor condition. So no tops. Also, a couple of the boxes are actually split somewhat in places. Overall they're in poor condition and look pretty crappy! I am having the engine rooms detailed (have newly rebuilt engines) and get things looking good. Its been tough finding someone to detail the rooms.

Any other comments or suggestions (even on engine room detail) will be most appreciated.

Paul
    1985 61' MY - Miss Mary Alma

"Find the good - and praise it !"

Paul,

I see from your profile you are in New Bern, as am I for the time being. I can reference you some former Hatteras guys, one in particular who can help you with you engine room detailing, and could have built you new boxes quite economically.

BTW, your boat uses 12 volt batteries?
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

We had all of ours on our 56' made out of starboard. Hinged lids and vented the whole works. Looks very nice and the batteries are very easy to access and to maintain. Replaced all the old stuff about 5 years ago.