Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
  1. Head treatment systems

Gentlemen I am looking to close on a 1973 43 DC this week and need to add Raritan treatment systems for the heads. I would like to know if it best to have just 1 system for both heads, less maintenance, or 2 systems for redundancy. If you could also help in where the systems are best located that would be great.
    Thanks,
    Roger

Re: Head treatment systems

I would think it would be very hard to use one system. Hard to run the hoses to some place where the unit would sit. Aft unit could sit quite nicely outboard of the stb. shaft. I supose the only place for a foward one would be under the v berth. I recently cut acces doors into that area for storage. One of my projects is cconect the aft head to the holding tank another very hard job without taking up the deck. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Anything over 6 ft hose run to the unit was not recommended by Raritan the last time I checked. We have one for the forward head and a Galley Maid waste treatment system for each of the other two. THe GM takes more space but does not use any power. One of my "maybe someday" projects is to replace the two GM units with the Raritans.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

I had one Raritan "PuraSan" treatment system in my 46 Matthews motoryacht. Both heads ran to the one unit. It worked flawlessly.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

5. Re: Head treatment systems

Discharge of such effluent may not be legal...It is not in 'no discharge' zones so check restrictions where you boat....you can start at the EPA national website online under no discharge zones....but localities may have local rules and even though I think they are required to get EPA approval for no discharge, a local ordinance will be enforced by local judges and it could become a costly legal controversy....

I'm not up to date on all the ins and outs so at a minimum check with other boaters in your area and maybe marina management.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.