Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: Engine Survey: The one day or the 3 day?

Quote Originally Posted by luckydave215 View Post
    It can be a tough call, but make your decision based (at least partly) on what engines they are. 485 horse 6-71's? Get the good survey. 310 horse 6-71's? Perform Karl's 30 second compression test. You get my drift.
    My boat has 1000 horse (WAY too much for their own good) 12v71ti's with recent rebuilds. The decision was a no brainer, no way I would have bought them without a thorough survey.
    The survey on the mains and two gens took two guys three days including sea trial, in this case it was worth every penny. If they were 12-71N's and ran well, I'd have passed on spending the money.
    Saw some pics of your 60 in the gallery nice looking boat. What kind of speed do the pumped up 12/s give you? you running the 120 injectors?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Having purchased my 4th boat recently, I just went thru this, again. Oil analysis is IMPORTANT. Engine, and, transmission. That can be done way ahead of survey and provide a heads up on potential problems. This, you can do yourself. A good Marine survey can save loads, and, likewise engine surveys are a must. Proper preparations can make this a one day event. My engine and marine survey survey costs (including haul out for for hull inspection totaled about $2200.00 (40 Hatt MY)

My 4-71NA's took one and a half days (including about 4 hours of sea trials - which also included cruising to the haul out location). VERY comprehensive survey and follow up report. It cost me $1,500 less than a year ago and enough issues were found to offset that cost with a reduction in the purchase price.

Well worth the expense IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by wmassey9 View Post
    Having purchased my 4th boat recently, I just went thru this, again. Oil analysis is IMPORTANT. Engine, and, transmission. That can be done way ahead of survey and provide a heads up on potential problems. This, you can do yourself. A good Marine survey can save loads, and, likewise engine surveys are a must. Proper preparations can make this a one day event. My engine and marine survey survey costs (including haul out for for hull inspection totaled about $2200.00 (40 Hatt MY)
    I anticipate a one day survey and a one day marine survey, and the cost will probably be right about your figure. Not sure how to get the oil sample first. If the trial speeds, RPMs and temps are right on the money, what can he oil analysis tell us (engine oil that is). I am a bit more familiar with what the gear oil can tell us.

Oil analysis can tell you if there are contaminants and high levels of certain trace metals but they are not as useful as a one time run as compared to seasonal ones where you can see changes and patterns.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Yeah, you also have to be aware that if an engine hasn't been run much in a while, some of the trace elements will show high - iron, for example - even though that does not reflect what is really happening in the engine. And, of course, if the oil has just been changed, that will also be an essentially useless analysis.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Boat has an on site caretaker -- he's a captain -- and he watches the estate and the boat for owner who summers in Cape Cod. He runs the boat periodically. I think he enjoys that more than mowing the grass and repairing the dock and so on frankly.

How long for a fluid sample result, assuming it is pulled the day of the trial and surveys?

Quote Originally Posted by Boatsb View Post
    Oil analysis can tell you if there are contaminants and high levels of certain trace metals but they are not as useful as a one time run as compared to seasonal ones where you can see changes and patterns.
    we use oilanalysis as part of our maintance program for our aircraft. its realy more a trend tool than anything else. when I started using Le monelec oil in the boat they did the analysis for free. changes were supposed to be based on the analysis findings but I got nervous and do it more often than they recomend(500hrs)I do it at 250
    any how you could tell more if you remove the filters and cut them open you can then take a magnet and check for ferrus metals and crap caught in the filters this is a more telling sign of impending doom
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present