Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Safety REGs on the Great Lakes

You have received an infraction at Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery - 05-22-2010, 07:04 PM
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Dear yachtsmanbill,
    You have received an infraction at Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery.
    Reason: Inappropriate Language

Sure glad this wasnt an INFARCTION...
    I was informed that the 12 gage Orion / Olin flare guns are no longer legal in Michigan. I need to update and will be at WM tomorrow. I really hate to asked a pimple faced rag bagger what I need, so, what do I need??? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Re: Safety REGs on the Great Lakes

Or worse.. a fart in the ear ..lol...

I like 'em whistlin' through the hairs on my chest LOL... no, not the flares ya big dummy ;-)) ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Canada is the only place where a flare gun can get you into trouble. In Michigan they are still legal.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks SKY... I knew I could depend on you for a straight answer! So what do you use in Canadia and what did you do with your Olins when you crossed?

These days are sooo screwed up.. up is down and down is up and I dont like black coffee and egg macmuffins fo' breakfast! (Thats a Cook County jail joke!)
    yachtsmanWILLY

Quote Originally Posted by yachtsmanbill View Post
    Thanks SKY... I knew I could depend on you for a straight answer! So what do you use in Canadia and what did you do with your Olins when you crossed?
    Officially, I did not have a flare gun aboard when I was in Canadia, just hand helds.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Hi Bill... I believe you need the following if cruising Canadian waters in your 60' Hatt: 12 Canadian approved flares of Type A, B, C or D, not more than 6 of which are of Type D

For reference: http://www.cruising.ca/cruising/docs/req-safe.html#12

Regards, Ben

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    Officially, I did not have a flare gun aboard when I was in Canadia, just hand helds.
    Yeah, I have those 12 Ga standard flares too, but officially I didn't have them in Canada, and nobody looked anyway.

Did you guys have an axe as well? And what are these flare types? Self igniting lights?

Bob

Canadian Flare Types: (self igniting)

Type A: Parachute
    •Single red star
    •When launched, reaches height of 300 m (984’) and with the aid of parachute, comes down slowly
    •Easily observed from the surface or air
    •Burns for at least 40 seconds

Type B: Multi-star
    •Two or more red stars
    •When launched, reach a height of 100 m (328’) and burn for four or five seconds each
    •Easily observed from the surface or air
    Some Type B flares project only one star at a time. When using this single star type, two flares must be fired within 15 seconds of each other. You will need double the number of cartridges to meet the requirements of the regulations.

Type C: Hand-held
    •Red flame torch held in your hand
    •Limited surface visibility
    •Best for pinpointing location during an air search
    •Burns for at least one minute
    Avoid looking directly at the flare while it is burning. Ignite the flare while holding it clear of the boat and down wind.

Type D: Smoke (buoyant or hand-held)
    •Produces a dense orange smoke for three minutes
    •Used only as a day signal
    •Some types are made especially for pleasure craft use that last one minute and come in a package of three
    Position your smoke flare down wind and follow the directions carefully.
    The limitation on these type D flares is because they are daylight devices only.

You can find more information on safety equipment here:
    http://www.tc.gc.ca/eng/marinesafety...-menu-1608.htm

(however, I believe these regs are voluntary for foreign visitors, not sure).
    Last edited by SportFishCruising; 06-09-2010 at 08:50 AM.