Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bottom Paint-Haulout for Survey

My question is about a new bottom paint job and the harm of a haulout for a survey. I put my boat on the market a few months ago. It is badly overdue for bottom paint, and the divers are having difficulty with the monthly cleaning. If I paint now, and then get an offer down the road and need a haulout/survey- would this hurt the paint? Also, a question on frequency of hull cleans. Up in the SF Bay- bottom cleaning was typically once per three months. Here in San Diego the standard seems to be monthly and once every three weeks in the summer. I checked water temps, and while somewhat higher that the SF Bay, not what I would think would warrant that much extra. I know FL water temps are much higher. Any advice on that also?

2. Re: Bottom Paint-Haulout for Survey

Sorry I can't help. We dive the zincs once a year and repaint every 1-2 years. EVERYTHREE WEEKS! WOW! What are you moored in?

Craig

Re: Bottom Paint-Haulout for Survey

I use an ablative bottom paint and do not think haul out is an issue for me. In any case, I do not think the time out of water for a survey would be sufficient to impair any bottom paint.

I would say, if it needs it, paint it, and otherwise maintain your boat no less than you would if it was not for sale.

I wonder whether a water temp anlaysis means anything regarding bottom growth other than academics. Barnacles, etc grow however they do and you deal with them based upon their growth rate, not water temp, etc. Growth is what it is where you are.

I try to take my boat out every few weeks, jump overboard and knock off the bottom growth and check the zincs. I have an oil free compressor and regulator, and if I did not, I would buy one.

Regards,
    Last edited by Vincentc; 06-08-2010 at 02:12 PM.
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

Re: Bottom Paint-Haulout for Survey

never have a problem with the bottom its the props and shafts that have to be scraped monthly here in fla I do it my self with the dive gear I just hauled after 2.5 yrs no barnacles just some grass and I only use the old pettit unepoxy zinks last 3 mo

5. Re: Bottom Paint-Haulout for Survey

Most modern bottom paints can be left out of the water for a fairly long period of time without problems. Some may need a quick power wash before going back in, but that is not always the case. Take a look at what the manufactor recommends for the particular paint you are using. You will probably be surprised at how long you can out of water store without issues. Certainly the period of time she is out for a buyers survey will not hurt any paint.