Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

March AC pump motor freezing up

I have an AC-2CP-MD March on my Cruisair AC system which has a stiff motor ( wet end off, spinning the magnet cylinder by hand). The original symptom is that on ocassion the pump will not start spinning. A total replacement will be very painful due to the location. I notice two oil holes in the motor case. What are the chances that oiling these two bearings will bring this pump motor back to life? What type of oil should be used? This motor has never been oiled. When it runs it sounds OK.

Thanks.

Re: March AC pump motor freezing up

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post
    I have an AC-2CP-MD March on my Cruisair AC system which has a stiff motor ( wet end off, spinning the magnet cylinder by hand). The original symptom is that on ocassion the pump will not start spinning. A total replacement will be very painful due to the location. I notice two oil holes in the motor case. What are the chances that oiling these two bearings will bring this pump motor back to life? What type of oil should be used? This motor has never been oiled. When it runs it sounds OK.

Thanks.

You are stalling the inevitable...... replace the pump.

As Dave said...Why put off till tomorrow what you can do today...
    Especially while at your own dock, in your own town, where it's not ruining relax time...
    Ohh...and while you don't have a bunch of other helpers around telling you how to do it...Not to mention a pissed off Admiral...That can really ruin a trip...

There must only be one Admiral school.

Quote Originally Posted by Reefgeorge View Post

Thanks.
    Is that not the motor fully encased in epoxy unit. Pull it off before it burns up and stinks up the ER. If you don't get another, consider the Cal-Marine- all stainless and bronze.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

No, this a vented air cooled motor but I will look at the brand that you suggested.

I personally don't recommend the Cal pumps...

They have a shaft seal that fails fairly often, and they run very hot unless submerged...They are also full of oil...The motor actually runs in a oil bath...

Cruisair started offering Cal years back when March was having some problems, but soon after, they dropped them due to warranty returns that were much worse than the March pumps at the time...

March since has straightened out their problems...And maybe Cal has too, but just because the Cal is shiny chrome & brass does not make the overall design good...I also feel Cal's capacity ratings are a bit overstated...

Steve~

stay away from Cal pumps! i've been thru a number of them and they dont' last. after a while the seal fails and the cooling oil leaks out. game over.

you may be able to relocate the pump while you're at it. on the 53 for instance, the pump was hard to reach in the far corner of the port ER,under the air cons. I moved it to the stringer just inside the aft door. it's now accessible and even closer to the strainer. if you move the pump, make sure the water line from the strainer to the pump inlet is uphill with no low or high point.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

I use a Dayton pump from Grainger. I recall 1/4 hp, stainless shaft and bronze housing. It runs all four units, four years old and going strong.

Bob
    Chateau de Mer
    1981 48MY
    Lying Baltimore Yacht Club

I got 8 years out of the original so I replaced it with the same pump. That said, the replacement has more noise than the original, sounds grumbly. Also, it seems to run pretty hot - an IR temp gun says 115 F. I never measured the original so I have no reference. Looks like good water flow and the AC unit likes the cooling. I was pretty careful to have good sealing at the threaded fittings and hose clamps - double clamps and tape/leak lock sealant on the threads so I should not have any air/cavitation but there are no clear hoses to verify 100%. Also I had to dissassemble the wet end to rotate the output and I verified all the parts and sequence.

Any thoughts on the noise or heat?

Thanks,

George