Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

prop for repower.

Ihave a new to me,'83 36 ' convertible with a pair of Yanmar 440 hp Diesels.It currently has 24''x26'' 3 blade wheels .Im thinking of replacing the props for a smoother and better performance and was wondering what other Hatt owners thought,Peter

Re: prop for repower.

Search the forum for Veem propellors and you will pull up a thread that I think will be of interest to you. I am suppossed to get a new pair of Veems this week, so I can't give you any first hand details till later.

Keep us posted, would you? Always interested in propeller discussions, as it remains a black art.

If you have not already tried the computer program available at boatdiesel.com it might be worth your time and the cost of a year subscription to try it.
    Regards
    Regards,
    Vincent Castigliola
    Lilly Marie - 43 DC 1983
    Pascagoula, Mississippi

Rather than history as a peaceful continuum interrupted by war, “For the first time in the nation's history men in authority are talking about an "emergency" without a foreseeable end" _ C. Wright Mills 1956

I have been a subscriber for a few years.Im going to check my gear ratio info engine manufacturer specs and try it.I have a 1983 36ft convertible.Am I correct in classifying it as a Semi-displacement in their info ,Thanks,Peter

I am not sure what the cut off is and whether it has to do with speed or hull shape, but I think it would be slow planing or average planing. Perhaps others here will know.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Images

Average planing.

I have used that prop calculator a few times and it doesn't give me the right answers for my current configuration. One suggestion was that my boat is WAY heavier than I think it is. Therefore, I can't really trust the answers it gives me for changes.

I pretty much gave up on that calculator.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

9. Re: prop for repower.

I think that knowing your actual performance right now is a lot more accurate than any theoretical calculator will provide....Any idea who installed the engines and props and how they arrived at your current configuration? Or how their recommended package matched actual performance?

Of all the possible things that could lead to a "smoother and better performance" how did you arrive at "new props".

What specifically are you experiencing and what are you trying to accomplish.

smoother: you need to distinguish between engine alignment and operation, shaft alignment and trueness, prop condition, bottom condition....etc.

performance:: what were the performance characteristics with the original equipment and what are they with your current power....are you looking to improve hull speed economy or cruise speed, for example?
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 05-26-2010 at 07:13 PM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I repropped with a pair of 24x24 4 blade Hi Torqs.Much smoother ride,gets right up to max rpm(3300) 27kts and still have room to cup them.