Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ocean 29 SS

Ocean 29 SS

I have a friend looking at a 1990 Ocean 29 Super Sport as a park at his house day boat for light fishing, diving and cocktail cruising. I have heard that the 29's with the hardtop tend to be a bit top heavy and handle poorly especially in following seas but have no experience with the boat at all. Has anyone had any experience with this little boat? It does have rather large fins attached to the side of the boat near the cockpit on both sides that look factory as I understand it to help with stability. This boat has gas engines. Thanks.

Re: Ocean 29 SS

Quote Originally Posted by whaler23 View Post
    I have a friend looking at a 1990 Ocean 29 Super Sport as a park at his house day boat for light fishing, diving and cocktail cruising. I have heard that the 29's with the hardtop tend to be a bit top heavy and handle poorly especially in following seas but have no experience with the boat at all. Has anyone had any experience with this little boat? It does have rather large fins attached to the side of the boat near the cockpit on both sides that look factory as I understand it to help with stability. This boat has gas engines. Thanks.

I have heard the same negatives about the 29. Not to mention that half of the engine is in the cabin. Tell him to get a 33 Bertram.

Friends don't let friends drive Oceans.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

There was an article on the Ocean 29 flybridge with hardtop in the now defucnt Powerboat Reports. People where having significant handling issues mostly in a beam or following sea if I remember right. Ocean resisted acknowledging the problems and overall handled the matter terribly. PR even interviewed the navel architect (Martin, I think). The "fix" was deeper rudders and maybe some stern hull appendage. I don't think these problems existed for the express version. I think the 58 sportfish also had some of these problematic handling traits.

I recall that when the aforementioned handling and stability problems surfaced that the model became impossible to insure. If he's really a friend, DON'T let him buy that boat.

This boat has the stern hull appendages. Too bad about the handling as the interior of the boat is surprisingly roomy and well laid out. Yes the engine compartments are half in the cockpit and half in the salon but it seemed to work fine and routine maintenance could be handled from the salon side. This helps explain why they seem to be fairly low priced...

I happened to run across someone yesterday who is selling a 31 Bertram because her husband died. Probably needs some work but you might get it for a steal.