Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Faith

Re: Lost Faith

Quote Originally Posted by captddis View Post
    Very sad!! Hatteras should buy the problem boats back and strip them then crush them.
    Or replace them, this is what happens to customer satisfaction when big corporations get involved. They just take the cheapest way out.

Quote Originally Posted by SunChaser View Post
    Or replace them, this is what happens to customer satisfaction when big corporations get involved. They just take the cheapest way out.

Back when they had the issues with the first 48's, Hatt put most of the people into 52's for a small upcharge. Now Brunswick owns Hatt and you deal with bean counters.

What a mess. I really like the 50 and 55 hatts built during that era, and hope to move into one some day ( if not a newer 54). The 3412s are more power than I would want in the 50 (personally). Speed is great but always comes at a pice, in fuel and otherwise. That being said, I would have never thought that the company I have great trust in would have not taken care of a problem like this.
    Like others here, I will pay attention to this going forward. Dave, I hope you will share what you can as this progresses so we can benefit from your horrible experience.
    (formerly Nor'easter 1995 39 Hatt SX)

Wow. I have nothing really to add to the conversation other than I'm shocked and sorry. Good luck and keep us informed...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

5. Re: Lost Faith

Very, very disappointing news, yet all it takes is some defective fiberglass resin or maybe a design mistake: with that kind of power any weak link in the chain will surely fail. And it sounds like maybe there were several. Any information on the cause of these issues will surely be of great interest as will what corrective action Hatteras has taken on more recent construction.

What's so different about these 50 convertibles...surely other models/sizes have comparable HP????

Big companies sometimes don't fix problems; Leaking windshields in 1960's and 1970's Corvettes comes to mind....same problem with leaks for about 15 years as I recall....rain water drips on the drivers feet and legs!!!!!!!
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Big companies sometimes don't fix problems; Leaking windshields in 1960's and 1970's Corvettes comes to mind....same problem with leaks for about 15 years as I recall....rain water drips on the drivers feet and legs!!!!!!!
    How many years has Chrysler made the inline-6 that has the rear leaking main? I got a 1999 jeep that leaks--one would think over about 40 years they could figure it out LOL

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    How many years has Chrysler made the inline-6 that has the rear leaking main? I got a 1999 jeep that leaks--one would think over about 40 years they could figure it out LOL
    That 258 in the Jeep is much better than what they put in them now. Be careful what you complain about.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I had one blow up in a friends KIDS Jeep and the mechanic who I have known for at least 25 years said it was the first inline six he had ever seen blown. Turns out the kid drove it home without any coolant in it, threw another used six in it and he"s still driving it 5 years later, probably still abusing it.

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    That 258 in the Jeep is much better than what they put in them now. Be careful what you complain about.
    The engine runs forever, it's just the rear main seal that always leaks--in EVERY single engine I've ever seen LOL.

I'd never buy another jeep. Got this one because I'm on an island, the price was right, and I needed a ride. They are junk and too much stupid little stuff is always breaking...common "jeep things" that are "normal to break".

Cool Re: Lost Faith

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    Walt
    "........ One boat hatteras cut 3' sq sections out of the bottom to repair, one had cracks [above the waterline] compleatly through the hull, the service manager told me that one boat in Puerto Rico was so bad Hatteras threatened to chain the boat to dock so the owner could not use it. One of the worst problems with this is I have been unabe to use the boat since Sept of 2006. I do have to be a little careful of what I say because of litigation.

I am glad to see that restraint is being used due to pending litigation. I hate that this happened to you, but please post pictures or proof. You are continuing to drag a company with a well respected history through the mud without any kind of proof.