Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Faith

Re: Lost Faith

Skycheney

Boat Name Is "Kant Winn" and I owned A new1986 -36 -Sedan, new, 1988- 41 convertible- 1993 50 covertible all which i never had any trouble with and thought we had a good relation with hatteras

Any photos you can post?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    Skycheney

Boat Name Is "Kant Winn" and I owned A new1986 -36 -Sedan, new, 1988- 41 convertible- 1993 50 covertible all which i never had any trouble with and thought we had a good relation with hatteras
    Sorry to hear of your troubles. You have to understand the skepticism with the post coming on April Fools Day, your name resembling that of the devil of the sea, and the boat name.

The other reason for doubt is because we just don't ever hear of stories like this related to Hatteras. This is what we see with the new Bertrams and with SeaRays. Hatteras is supposed to have the most rugged hull in the business.

http://media.channelblade.com/EProWe...0Advantage.pdf

I would also like to see your pictures. I assume the first repairs fell under the 5 year hull warranty. How long has it been since they completed those repairs? Did you go to the factory to inspect the boat before they returned it? Did you get a surveyor involved at any point along the way?
    Last edited by SKYCHENEY; 04-02-2010 at 04:00 PM.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    When hatteras took boat back to factory they removed almost every thing from engine room except generator and main engines [3412e cats],they removed interior in master state room and bunk rm, cut updeck to get at stringers, cut stringer in the middle of engine room and removed them foward as far as possible and installed new stringers, retabbed and added a number of layers of fiberglass to the bottom and added a number of layers of glass on the outside on the bottom of hull not completelycovering hull now i am told this has created hard spots on hull. hatteras captain returned boat and said he had one really rough day. When i went on board the boat. I found 3 cabinet doors smashed,vacuflush system not working.water system not working ,pump burnt out.two of the hvac system not working,gell coat on bottom of hull cracked every where, at least in two places cracks go well into fiberglass ,where hull meets cored hull side fiberglass has cracked completely through to core, sole of bridge is cracked,on hull bottom where glass was added it was not fared properly and has 3/16" ridges, looks like two big patches on bottom and the most disturbing thing is the smell the whole boat smells like sewerage so bad we could not stay on boat, now these are only some of the major items.
    Wow Dave. I can't imagine Hatteras delivering the boat to you that way. Did your insurance company have a role in this? Surely they would have involved a reputable surveyor to make sure the work was done properly.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

Sounds like a case for Capt Blye, Blackbeard, Capt Hook. Make a run on the factory to get to the bottom of this.
    Daryl Hollis
    1965 34'DCMY Hull # 33

http://s940.photobucket.com/albums/a...albumview=grid

This is awful, and I apologize for not believing you in the first place. I have never heard a story like this about any Hatteras boat. What are they now saying about the situation with your boat and what do they plan to do in the way of fixing it?

FWIW, my view is the only way to get Hatters to fix this is by taking persistent hardball legal action, and in parallel start an active campaign to tarnish their name. Hatteras, if they have brain in their corporate marketing heads, should recognize they could easily lose their brand over a problem of the magnitude you describe. All companies have problems, how they resolve them is what separates the excellent ones from the rest of the pack, and is key to how they will treat others should they have a similar situation. This may be one of those defining moments for the Hatteras brand. We are all watching, and I wish you the best of luck..

Edit: Assuming of course, as Walt said in the following post, that the facts are as stated.....
    Last edited by mike; 04-03-2010 at 01:16 AM.

Well Dave, please understand that just about all of us on this forum are avid Hatteras owners or wanna be Hatteras owners. Most of us have a great deal of difficulty believing that our favorite brand, the creation of Willis Slane and Jack Hargrave could have sunk as low as you describe. With all due respect, and I really mean it, I would like to see some hard evidence that what you claim is totally factual - pictures would be nice to start with. It just seems that a company like Hatteras would treat a customer, especially a repeat one like yourself much better than you describe. Sorry if I sound like a doubting Thomas but I have also owned 4 Hatteras boats over the last several decades, and although mine have all been used, with the possible exception of the first one which was a dealer demo, I have always been treated like the most important customer by the folks at Hatteras and your experience is so out of character for them that I am still thinking that we are not being told the whole story.

Walt

Walt
    If sombody had told me this story 5 years ago I would have had the same response. I will up load pictures as soon as I figure out how to do that. I found out about a problem in June of 05 when another hatteras owner, who kept his boat in NC for the winter asked if I heard of the trouble they were having with 50' SF with 3412s. At that time he told me they had one boat at the factory they were repairing. At 2005 Northeast Rendezvous I asked Bill Numann if there was a problem and he said yes, but they were trying to keep it quiet so as not to devalue boats and that I would be getting a letter explaining what the problem was [have never received]. In 2006 after the Rendezvous, Hatteras sent Chuck and engineering with a boroscope, drilled holes in the foward engine room bulkhead and found damage. A month later they proposed to install stainless steel strakes on the bottom of the boat in a manor not acceptable. At this time they wanted to take the boat back to factory. While at factory, I found out from the service dept that there was at least 25 boats with similar problems. I have talked with one owner and one surveyor. One boat hatteras cut 3' sq sections out of the bottom to repair, one had cracks [above the waterline] compleatly through the hull, the service manager told me that one boat in Puerto Rico was so bad Hatteras threatened to chain the boat to dock so the owner could not use it. One of the worst problems with this is I have been unabe to use the boat since Sept of 2006. I do have to be a little careful of what I say because of litigation.

Very sad!! Hatteras should buy the problem boats back and strip them then crush them.