Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Lost Faith

Angry Lost Faith

Have owned hatteras since 1985 And had a new boat built in 2001 which we made some minor changes to. In 2005 I discovered that the boat was coming apart,chine strigers were cracking,secondary tabbing on stringers failing, and bulkards cracking.Hatteras took boat back to factory and had boat for 8 months repairing. only to get boat back in worse shape then when they took it. Would like to know if anybody else has had similar problems because hatteras now refuses to repair, and you know where this is headed.

2. Unhappy Re: Lost Faith

Yikes.... I've heard of this sort of thing with other boats, but Hatteras?

FWIW I owned a 1985 45C for the better part of a decade and she was sound when I bought her and when I sold her. DEFINITELY no problems of that sort......
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Re: Lost Faith

So it looks like you now own a 2001 50C. What was your 1985 model?
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

This is distressing news..... Hatteras boats are not supposed to be like ordinary boats, which is why we pay more for them. I suspect (hope) that your experience is an anomaly as it is the first time I have ever heard of such a thing happening to a Hatteras. I have owned 4 Hatteras boats over the last few decades and have been through some nasty sea conditions with all of them (not planned) and have never had any issues with structural integrity. I would hope that the company would resolve this problem to everyone's satisfaction. Good luck........

Walt

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Jones View Post
    Hatteras took boat back to factory and had boat for 8 months repairing. only to get boat back in worse shape then when they took it.
    Exactly what did Hatteras do that made it worse? They took the boat back, fixed it, and you say it is in worse shape? Fiberglass repairs are relatively simple repairs, especially reattaching tabbing. 8 months is a long time.
    Last edited by fissioneng; 04-01-2010 at 10:23 PM.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

First post and it happens to be on April 1st....say it ain't so!

Yes, and the name is Dave Jones...hmmmm.

Wink Re: Lost Faith

Ha Ha Ha
    Skip
    Mad Hatteras
    53 MY

I drink because of Navy football

And the boat name is "Kant Winn"
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Angry Re: Lost Faith

Let me tell you this is no joke.
    I am new at this forum but I will try to answer all questions and coments and any help that you can give me would be very much appricated.

When hatteras took boat back to factory they removed almost every thing from engine room except generator and main engines [3412e cats],they removed interior in master state room and bunk rm, cut updeck to get at stringers, cut stringer in the middle of engine room and removed them foward as far as possible and installed new stringers, retabbed and added a number of layers of fiberglass to the bottom and added a number of layers of glass on the outside on the bottom of hull not completelycovering hull now i am told this has created hard spots on hull. hatteras captain returned boat and said he had one really rough day. When i went on board the boat. I found 3 cabinet doors smashed,vacuflush system not working.water system not working ,pump burnt out.two of the hvac system not working,gell coat on bottom of hull cracked every where, at least in two places cracks go well into fiberglass ,where hull meets cored hull side fiberglass has cracked completely through to core, sole of bridge is cracked,on hull bottom where glass was added it was not fared properly and has 3/16" ridges, looks like two big patches on bottom and the most disturbing thing is the smell the whole boat smells like sewerage so bad we could not stay on boat, now these are only some of the major items.