Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Water tanks

Water tanks

Working on my 1966 MY and just found out there is a water tank under the starboard side cabin bunk. I ended up removing it to move the wall over in a new layout. Does anyone know why this tank along with the one below deck is not tied into the tank in the very back of the stern? Would you suggest just removing this tank or relocating it?
    Follow me as I restore a 1966 50' MY @ MotorMyBoat.com

Re: Water tanks

I believe on my 1972 53MY that the tanks are tied together. I just looked at the hatt water system dwg for 53MY, dwg: NMB-17, dated july 28, 1971. It shows the aft transom tank connected to the aft keel tank, and the port under-bunk tank connected to the aft keel tank, which then feeds the fresh water pump. Note; there are vents on the transom tank and the under-bunk tank, but none on the keel tank. mike

Smile Re: Water tanks

Ok. So the aft transom tank is connected to the aft keel. Does the spec happen to indicate the size of the tanks? I figure the underbunk tank is about 100 gallons, maybe less. Would I now need to vent the keel tank? I'm assuming the fill on the stern is for the water tanks and the water input on starboard is a direct line in bybassing the water pump. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for the advice!

4. Re: Water tanks

Nice photos and narrative..good luck on the restoration...how long have you had the boat....??
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Thanks for the support! Officially one month now. Three weekends of work.

I have some great photos from this weekend where we moved the wall and such.

"I'm assuming the fill on the stern is for the water tanks and the water input on starboard is a direct line in bybassing the water pump."

That is correct on later Hatts; I ASSUME it is the same on earlier ones.

Per the brochure, the FW capacity is 262 gal. If you have the original Hatt paperwork that came with the boat (if not, you can get a copy from Hatt), it will list the capacity of each tank.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwetzel View Post
    Working on my 1966 MY and just found out there is a water tank under the starboard side cabin bunk. I ended up removing it to move the wall over in a new layout. Does anyone know why this tank along with the one below deck is not tied into the tank in the very back of the stern? Would you suggest just removing this tank or relocating it?
    I found a similar tank on the 42, as the boat had no holding tank and not a lot of room to put one, I decided to use it for a holding tank. On mine all the connections needed to use it for fuel, water, or whatever where in the tank.

Great pics, good luck.

Removing a water tank is not something I'd consider UNLESS you are mostly tied to the dock/marinas. If you anchor out quite a bit you need all the water capacity you can get unless you have a water maker.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by ryanwetzel View Post
    Ok. So the aft transom tank is connected to the aft keel. Does the spec happen to indicate the size of the tanks? I figure the underbunk tank is about 100 gallons, maybe less. Would I now need to vent the keel tank? I'm assuming the fill on the stern is for the water tanks and the water input on starboard is a direct line in bybassing the water pump. Please correct me if I am wrong. Thanks for the advice!

Ryan,

It is my understand the stern tank is the fill tank which drains to your second tank in the midship berth, then feeds to the header tank below the deck in the aft state room. Your pump should pick up water from this point. I find that on our 1969 53 MY, the stern is first to empty and then the second tank. Not sure, but I think the stern tank is 125 gal's the mid is around 100 gal's and the header tank is 25 gal. Hope this helps.
    Mike,

"SeaWhisperer"
    1969 Hatteras 53' MY
    Morehead City, NC.

[QUOTE=SeaWhisper;157909]Ryan,

"It is my understand the stern tank is the fill tank which drains to your second tank in the midship berth, then feeds to the header tank below the deck in the aft state room. Your pump should pick up water from this point."

According to the hatteras drawings, the flow path is stern/transom tank to > below-deck-tank to> pump; the midship-berth tank is connected to the below-deck tank. Once filled the midship-berth tank drains to the below-deck tank. This allows the below-deck tank to be the lowest point in the water system so that all tanks can be fully depleted. (This is also why there is no vent on the below-deck tank.) All the tanks are filled via the stern tank, with the below-deck tank filling first; then as the water rises in the stern tank, the level in the midship tank will follow; provided your midship-berth tank's vent is not plugged and open to atmosphere. mike