Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Atena Speedometer

Recently my port tachometer died. (It died. I jumped it's wires to the starboard tach where the sending unit works). As I recall past threads on this subject showed little hope for rebuilds or replacement without also replaceing the sending unit.

Aetna Speedometer offers replacements for both tach and sending units. Because the replacement tachs are digital and, of course, in no way resemble the original, I am looking at replacing port and starboard components (what the hell, the starboard is just as old and probably going to die soon anyway).

Question is: has anybody had good or bad experience with Aetna Speedometer? I welcome any practical alternate suggestions to my otherwise very expensive dilemma.

Thanks.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

Re: Atena Speedometer

If you are referring to AETNA digital tachometers, I have had very good luck with them. Jim is a nice fellow and very helpful. I have eight of his digital tachs, two sets on each boat.

Forgot to mention that Sparky had some good suggestions concerning possibilities of repair. The best I could come up with was an outfit in Virginia who's pricing was too close to total replacement, but yet would only fix what was broke and not really a "rebuild". The guy admitted that other components could still fail.
    Capt'n Bill

"People will forget what you said. People will forget what you did, But people will never forget how you made them feel."

You can get new sending units, made by Aetna as I recall from Lauderdale Speedometer, give them a call, mine, which replaced old Suns, ran about 45 bucks a piece a year ago. They are very knowledgeable about our boats.

http://www.lspeedo.com/
    Last edited by GJH; 03-22-2010 at 12:13 PM.
    George
    Former Owner: "Incentive" 1981 56MY
    2007-2014

Had athena tachs on my topaz before the repower, never had a problem with them. Think I had to order the drive pin which was handled quickly. Bill
    Bill Allen 1973 43 dc
    Brielle N.J.

Thanks for the feed back guys. I just ordered two tachs and sending units from Aetna. Jim advised going with a sending unit that screws in where the cable attaches. The cable will now attach to the new sending unit. Sounds like "plug-n-play" which I like.
    Capt'n Bill