Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Detroit Diesel Parts - Cost Comparison

I am in the middle of a major on one of 692TA's. The cost of the parts from my local Detroit Diesel dealer has already exceeded the cost for the parts for the overhaul on my 8v92TI's (per engine) done in 2005. First, is it possible that I am being charged some sort of premium because the overhaul went to a former DD guy who used to work at the local DD dealer? Second, is there any way to determine what these parts should cost? Third, although I have a computer printout (official looking) of the parts and the charges, I am curious as to whether there is a set or standard charge per item. For example, new heads were $2,670 each less a $315 core charge. The turbo was about $2,650 less a $750 core charge and the kits were about $454 each. Any help would be appreciated.

Re: Detroit Diesel Parts - Cost Comparison

I'm sure there is a difference in cost for an end user and a service provider. I get fleet prices and they are OK but I know of people who do lots more DD work and they get even better pricing.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Call around to various truck dealers and automotive machine shops. I get lower prices on the same parts from a local Chevy truck dealer than I get from the Detroit dealer. The Detroit parts guy suggested I buy from the Chevy dealer for a better discount a couple of years ago when I bought all new exhaust manifolds.

Quote Originally Posted by JLR View Post
    I am in the middle of a major on one of 692TA's. The cost of the parts from my local Detroit Diesel dealer has already exceeded the cost for the parts for the overhaul on my 8v92TI's (per engine) done in 2005. First, is it possible that I am being charged some sort of premium because the overhaul went to a former DD guy who used to work at the local DD dealer? Second, is there any way to determine what these parts should cost? Third, although I have a computer printout (official looking) of the parts and the charges, I am curious as to whether there is a set or standard charge per item. For example, new heads were $2,670 each less a $315 core charge. The turbo was about $2,650 less a $750 core charge and the kits were about $454 each. Any help would be appreciated.
    Kinda wondering what state you are in. Call this number ask to speak to hot dog (jessie) he is the head parts man a covington decil tell him Tim sent you he is a good guy and very honest. 252-504-2185 or 252-504-2299 good luck..I know for fact there are aout 3 to 4 diffrent prices i have looked over his shoulder. I just finished redoing a pair of 692 with 535 hp he really helped me mine were twin turboed and the turbo price was less than 500 good luck. DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO AFTERMARKET PARTS!!!!!! TIM

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by tIM pOWELL View Post
    Kinda wondering what state you are in. Call this number ask to speak to hot dog (jessie) he is the head parts man a covington decil tell him Tim sent you he is a good guy and very honest. 252-504-2185 or 252-504-2299 good luck..I know for fact there are aout 3 to 4 diffrent prices i have looked over his shoulder. I just finished redoing a pair of 692 with 535 hp he really helped me mine were twin turboed and the turbo price was less than 500 good luck. DO NOT LET ANYONE TALK YOU INTO AFTERMARKET PARTS!!!!!! TIM

Tim - thanks for the tip. I just called Jessie to get the last two kits that my local Detroit guy could not find. He was great.

I can say that the last turbo I bought new was $980 from Mi Turbo, this was new with a one year warranty, it may pay to shop around a bit. I have the 892's

Chris
    Superior Nights 53C

Thanks Chris. I think the 892's use a turbo that is oil cooled versus the 692's that I have that are water cooled. For some reason, the water cooled turbos are much more.

Yes, water cooled turbos cost more but their bearings last longer and there is virtually no danger of coking a bearing.

As far as price, remember that all these turbos used on DDs are standard Aireasearch units that are/were used on a wide variety of engines. So they are available from all sorts of suppliers. I have seen the turbos for my 8V71TIs listed for upwards of 2k as a DD turbo where the same model number turbo was listed for as little as $700 when purchased for another vehicle or just by turbo model number.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"