Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)

53MY Fridge Replacement

The Kenmore( built by Amana which is built by Maytag) fridge in our 53 has quit cooling. I'm doing the troubleshooting to determine if it is a defrost timer/thermostat problem which is easily fixable. Unfortunately, it could be a clogged capillary tube which is not fixable at all. In fact, a replacement cap tube does not appear to be available at all.

I reviewed past threads on fridge replacement and although there was some good info, I'd like ask of anyone who has done so, what specific brand/model side-by-side fridge will go down the 53s salon-galley passageway with NO mods to the boat? How did you bring the fridge on board? I was thinking about hoisting with the dinghy davit and then onto the back deck.

The brand doesn't matter since I just discovered a few days ago that all fridges made in the US are made by 4 manufacturers - Maytag, Frigidaire, Whirlpool, and GE. (for those interested in this particular bit of trivia, go here http://fixitnow.com/2002/09/applianc...eally-made.htm

Thanks!

Re: the 53 Fridge thing again

I'm in the process right now. I cut up the old Fridgidaire SxS with a sawzall to remove it. I then picked up an LG side by side that is about 6 inches less in depth than the old unit and should fit right into the original space with no other modifications. Plus the new fridge is going to give better access to some the cabinets that were hard to reach next to the old one. Now I'm refinishing the teak parquet floor as it was never finished under the fridge and with a smaller unit that would now show. This refinish has become quite a job. It is the original floor that was an option, I think. Same parquet as in the pilothouse of my 53EDMY. Anyway, it's completely sanded down now and ready for finish. Once I complete that, I will be taking the doors off of the new fridge and lugging it down the stairs. I, too, have contemplated using the davit to hoist it from the dock to the back deck. I'll let you know how it goes.

Also, my hatch to the genny room is just one big heavy piece with handles on each end. I am now adding a piano hinge and a hydralic assist arm so that I can open it without having to set it on the newly finished floor and scratch it all up again.

If you need the model # of the new LG, I'll get it when I get home tonight and post it here. You can then look up the specs yourself online and see what you think.

I just did this last fall, it honestly was not quite the nightmare that I was afraid it would be, but it was no piece of cake.

Qualifier!! I have a 1973 boat that does NOT have the electical distribution box on the starboard ladderwell wall. I do not think this will apply to those boats.

The smallest Double Door GE/Whirlpool/Maytag(?) made is 1.5" deeper (33 vs 31.5 maybe?), with the same height and width. It goes right in. It is out a little, but undersink drawers work fine, and plus, there are no other real options with the factory cabinetry! It looks fine...there are some pictures in the For sale area of this website, ignore my brothers spelling.

Unless its new, you may as well redo your floor, counter, fixtures and other appliances while you are in there, it won't be easier in the future.

Number 1. Measure, Measure, Measure

I had a finish carpenter modify the panel that would be over your head going down the stairs, and then carefully wrapped it and rolled it into the headliner. Remove the railing, the box for the galley drapes, and even the corner trim on all the areas. Remove the box support wood also..

Use the slag portions of the new floor and tape it over piece of teak that can be damaged. Measure again

Empty the old fridge of every movable part, then go out on the dock and find the group of guys hanging out on the dock enjoying their saturday talking boats and say "hey, you guys want to give me a hand for 5 min" Do not tell them what you are doing. Once they are in there they will all be so fascinated with the horrendous nature of the project they will all get into it. When done, be advised,they may not talk to you ever again.

With the 5 guys cursing you, the old fridge will come out FAIRLY easily as it is SMALLER than the one you will be putting in. Encourage them to get it on the prepositioned dolly at the back of the boat. Buy them a case of Heineken and hope for the best.

New Fridge: Go to a small hometown appliance place and carefully explain that you are going to need their burliest, most professional deliveryman, and the more the merrier. Pay the minor upcharge on the unit to the place for this service. Forget Best Buy/Sears/etc..they will leave it in the parking lot.

Have the boat completely prepped with old linoleum, blankets, everthing, with a straight shot across the salon from the back door. Note: If you have purchased a boat with a hard enclosure that requires MILITARY PRESSING the fridge through the top window of back door kick self in ass.

Convince the delivermen that this has been measured and also convince him to unwrap the fridge and measure it again in the parking lot, and then watch the look on his face as he realizes that you are right "Yup we got 1/4" leeway, told ya so"

Remove doors and empty fridge of every movable part. Ignore deliverymens "no #$%^#$%ing way" comments as you work it with them down the dock and into the salon. IF everything is perfect it shoots right down the stairs and then they assemble it and leave it UNPLUGGED for a few hours to let it settle. The other appliances are nothing whatsoever to get in, just dont scrape up your new floor in your relief.

Tip Deliveryman 100.00 each....JUST in case you ever have a problem with your appliances..they will show up 15 min after a call to the store.

It helps if you were once a deliverman, but it is not vital.

Equator make several refrigerators that will fit. I have used their compact washer/ dryer and a dishwasher for several years and am very happy with them.