Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Wiil 8V92's fit in a 1988 45' Hat????

Does anyone know if a pair of 8v92's will fit in a 1988 45' Hatt????

Re: Wiil 8V92's fit in a 1988 45' Hat????

yes but it is tight. buy a 46C HP, it already has the 8V92s.

3. Re: Wiil 8V92's fit in a 1988 45' Hat????

I once saw 8V92's in a in a 45 Hatt....likely late 1970's or early 1980's....boat was a mess, so I did not look closely.....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 03-01-2010 at 09:16 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I did not know such an animal existed!
    I see an HP on yacht world. I also see it looks like they derate the horse power from 735 to 650hp for the 8v92. Very interesting

5. Re: Wiil 8V92's fit in a 1988 45' Hat????

There was a guy I ran into at the fuel dock here who had a sister ship to my 45C (mine was 85, I think his was 84) which had 8v92s in it. He had repowered with them after his 6s blew up (he admitted he liked to run the 6s on the pins, and got about 1,000 hours out of them doing that before they went "boom")

I wouldn't want to work on his boat. He let me have a peek and yeah, they fit - I guess. There was effectively zero forward clearance between the tank and the firewall and the centerline seemed even more cramped than it was on my boat (which wasn't great.)

I wouldn't do it, although I did see his reason for it - he had about 700 ponies in the same space I had 500 (each); he said he cruised 25kts and topped at about 28/29. That was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Gigabite, but I bet he also paid for that speed in fuel burn. Remember your fuel capacity - I held 600 gallons which sounds like a lot - it's not if you're fishing the canyon out 100nm and would like a reasonable reserve.

There was what I think was a 46HP in my marina after Ivan that went down in the storm. It was galley up (I personally detested the layout) and had 8s. The boat filled up to the aftercoolers and commensurately flooded the entire forward half of the boat plus the engine room and lazarette. They pulled 'em and either reworked them in the shop or replaced them outright (not sure which); there was also a lot of interior damage as she flooded all the way up to the salon sole. The guy who bought her at auction IMHO overpaid big - I saw the boat on the hard and like most sinkers IMHO it was one of those that if you were given it free you might be ok, but otherwise, no thanks.
    Last edited by Genesis; 03-01-2010 at 11:52 AM.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Yeh,
    There in lies the rub, so to speak. The 6v92's are too small for the 45's, the
    8V92's are better for the 45 but you need more fuel tankage, the 8V92's are too small for the 52's. 12V71's need more tankage.
    I don't need to run them at WOT, but I don't want to rebuild them every 1,500 hours either.

The ER in a 45C series II is much smaller than that of the 46C. The 8V92's fit well in a 46C and the performance is good on the HP models. captddis has a 46C HP and can give you first hand knowledge. I have a 46C that I repowered with 550HP 6V92's. I would have gone with 8V92's instead but I had a deal on fresh 6V92TA's that I knew the history of. Do you own a 45C that you are looking to repower?
    Jack Sardina

8. Re: Wiil 8V92's fit in a 1988 45' Hat????

The 45C with 6v92s @ 500HP (as far as I'd crank them up for decent life) and run between 1900-2000 RPM will turn ~18kts and give good service life.

If you want to run 21kts @ 2100, the boat will do that, but you're gonna pay for it in severely-reduced service life on those engines.

If you want more than 21kts laden these engines just don't put out enough juice for the weight of the boat and its hull to get what you want with acceptable service life. Gigabite saw 25kts a couple of times GPS indicated during sea trials, both of them very light and very briefly. That setup is a 19kt boat, 21kts at a fast cruise with the caveat above on service life reduction between overhauls.

If that's not enough for what you want to do you need more engine, and IMHO if you're going to remain in the 2-stroke world you have to address tankage, as 600 gals is just not enough to deal with a 0.3nmpg pair of motors, which is where you're going to end up if you drop 8s in there and hammer 'em. Gig was a 0.46nmpg boat @19kts all day long, but if you pushed her up you dropped the "6". The only reasonable place to add another tank would be to install a centerline tank after ripping out the in-floor baitwell aft the batteries. That's a significant change as the baitwell itself provides structural support to the cockpit floor. You'd also have to figure out how to handle drawing from it without it being a pain in the butt.

There are a number of these hulls that have been repowered with the Cummins Q series engines up to 660HP. They're ROCKETS with those engines in them and the newer technology has much-reduced fuel consumption as well as being a lot quieter. I wouldn't have believed the difference in burn claimed by the owners' boats I've had the pleasure to ride on if I hadn't seen actual readouts on the electronic bridge consoles while underway - it was ridiculously dramatic and beyond anything I would have reasonably expected.
    http://www.denninger.net - Home page with blog links and more
    http://market-ticker.org - The Market Ticker

Quote Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
    There was a guy I ran into at the fuel dock here who had a sister ship to my 45C (mine was 85, I think his was 84) which had 8v92s in it. He had repowered with them after his 6s blew up (he admitted he liked to run the 6s on the pins, and got about 1,000 hours out of them doing that before they went "boom")

I wouldn't want to work on his boat. He let me have a peek and yeah, they fit - I guess. There was effectively zero forward clearance between the tank and the firewall and the centerline seemed even more cramped than it was on my boat (which wasn't great.)

I wouldn't do it, although I did see his reason for it - he had about 700 ponies in the same space I had 500 (each); he said he cruised 25kts and topped at about 28/29. That was SIGNIFICANTLY better than Gigabite, but I bet he also paid for that speed in fuel burn. Remember your fuel capacity - I held 600 gallons which sounds like a lot - it's not if you're fishing the canyon out 100nm and would like a reasonable reserve.

There was what I think was a 46HP in my marina after Ivan that went down in the storm. It was galley up (I personally detested the layout) and had 8s. The boat filled up to the aftercoolers and commensurately flooded the entire forward half of the boat plus the engine room and lazarette. They pulled 'em and either reworked them in the shop or replaced them outright (not sure which); there was also a lot of interior damage as she flooded all the way up to the salon sole. The guy who bought her at auction IMHO overpaid big - I saw the boat on the hard and like most sinkers IMHO it was one of those that if you were given it free you might be ok, but otherwise, no thanks.

The galley up 46C was only on the 3 stateroom models. Not many made .
    There was a 1985 45C up in Tarpon Springs with 750 HP JT 8V92's. Was supposed to do 36 kts. Don't know if it did or not. My 46C used to do 32.6 kts when it was young. Still get 29+

Hey Captddis,
    Tell me more about your 46C. What power does she have? Is it the galley up 3 stateroom or galley down 2 stateroom? What year?