Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

120 V ground and 12 V negative

I just realized that my 120 V ground and 12V negative are connected to different parts of the engine frame. Is that supposed to be?? I highly doubt it. I am considering moving the 120V ground to an electrode on the ER floor, removing any connectivity to 12V neg. Any thoughts?
    Akin Tosyali
    Hatteras 41 -Barbaros

Chicago

Barbaros, Hatteras 41' Before and after restoration

Re: 120 V ground and 12 V negative

The way they're connected may not be right but all grounds 12V 32V and AC are bonded together in the system.

Brian

3. Re: 120 V ground and 12 V negative

Check this thread...the first half dozen posts describe the proper connection of negatives and bonding....

http://www.samsmarine.com/forums/sho...hlight=bonding

A potentially (pun intended) key point is that ac green ground, dc negative, and bonding are normally brought together at a single point in our older boats of all types.

There is a related but different, more modern means, for SEPARATE lightning protection wiring. I have posted about this so if you are interested and it's not in the above thread, you should be able to searc and find it.
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 01-26-2010 at 10:09 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: 120 V ground and 12 V negative

Ground is ground. They're both connected. The problem is when there is more than one point of bonding and ground connected.

Doug