Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: Marquipt wheels for stairs

Found it. These fit perfectly but I did not like the black rubber wheels and switched them out to a hard gray plastic.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

I got the same in black. Wasn't a fan of the hard plastic but they might wear slower.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

The black rubber left black skid marks all over the dock. The ones shown on this post in red is similar to the gray ones I have.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by SEVEN View Post
    Found it. These fit perfectly but I did not like the black rubber wheels and switched them out to a hard gray plastic.
    Did these stems work? I went into a caster shop (who would have thought?) and they tracked down the original manufacturer of the Marquip set. they were custom made, and marquip owns the part.

If the stem fits with out the compression ring why not drill a 1/4" hole thru the cup, and stem and pin them with a quick disconnect?
    Last edited by riverrandy; 01-18-2020 at 09:34 AM.
    riverrandy
    1975 64' MY Hull# 305
    Merritt Island, FL
    Cape Crossing Marina

Quote Originally Posted by riverrandy View Post
    Did these stems work? I went into a caster shop (who would have thought?) and they tracked down the original manufacturer of the Marquip set. they were custom made, and marquip owns the part.

If the stem fits with out the compression ring why not drill a 1/4" hole thru the cup, and stem and pin them with a quick disconnect?
    Yes, these fit perfectly.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Quote Originally Posted by divert00 View Post
    I found some new wheels at HD that I am trying on my Marquipt stairs. They are polyurethane which should
    wear longer than rubber. The wheels have an inner core, but the bearings are not at the shaft(bolt) they
    are in the sidewall where the black hub meets the inner orange edge(see pics). The wheels are the right
    width, but the hub is 1/4" too wide. You can spread the flanges on the Marquipt caster but requires a longer
    bolt. I used a side grinder and wood rasp to remove the width from the hub. I'll let the group know how
    well they hold up or not. No idea what the bearings are made of; saltwater will tell.

$10/each at HD.

John,
    How are those precision bearings holding up in the salt air?--I was at lowes today looking at 4 of them for my ladder--my original stainless casters are fine but the original wheel urethane tread is shot from UV cracking on all for wheels.
    I've looked all over for 4in x 1/25in wheels with the simple through bolt bearing with/or without the SS sleeve, but can't find.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Have a brother in law that is a machinist. Turn the caster shaft down or bore the ladder wheel receiver.

The tricky part is getting the old ones out. Ours were frozen in and eventually I bolted in new stainless ones after cutting out the old ones and their carrier tubes then building up from the bottom step to accept the caster platform.
    Regards
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Mapes View Post
    The tricky part is getting the old ones out. Ours were frozen in and eventually I bolted in new stainless ones after cutting out the old ones and their carrier tubes then building up from the bottom step to accept the caster platform.
    i drilled a hole above the caster and beat it out. The other three came out easy. My dock was a mess after a weekend using my stairs with the new wheels so at some point will need to swap out the black rubber wheels with something else. My stairs are rarely used so it’s no big deal. I thought about getting a sheet of SS and attach to the dock where the wheels touch.
    ENUFF. 1983 53MY.Hull #617 Barnegat Light Nj.

The “red”wheels I mentioned 15 months ago have held up well and no problems with the bearings.

John McCarley
    Water Colors - 1986 63 MY
    Wrightsville Beach NC