Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Marquipt wheels for stairs

I didn't want to pay the huge price for a new set of wheels from Marquipt, so I purchased a set from Grainger (only $25.00 each). My problem is that the stems fit great, but the friction washer is too large. I took the washers off and there isn't quite enough friction to hold them in. The fit is so close that if I put a piece of electical tape around the stem, it won't fit....any suggestions. (please no, "you should have bought the $280.00 set from Marquipt)
    John
    1986 58 MY "Longtail"
    Wickford RI

Re: Marquipt wheels for stairs

JB Weld! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

I started a thread over on the parts for sale. Read first. My newest thought, having replaced previously, is the buy just the wheel that is bolted on to the stem. Try CASTER CITY.COM. They have all kinds of wheels, including stems. I am going to be at the Miami Boat Show before making final decision.

How would I use JB Weld....I want to remove them!
    John
    1986 58 MY "Longtail"
    Wickford RI

It sounded like the stems wont stay in the reciever. Did I miss something? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

They are suppose to stay in with the friction ring. Because the friction ring is to large, I removed them, and the fit is just not tight enough to keep them in while be used. When I use the stairs, one or two will fall out as the tide rises and falls. I need to remove them for storage of the stairs along my railing.
    John
    1986 58 MY "Longtail"
    Wickford RI

The snap ring are supposed to squeeze closed and just slip in the bore. If it's a matter of collapsing the ring small enough to slip in. You can use a chamfer tool in your electric drill and chamfer the leading edge of the hole providing a taper at the entrance to squeeze the ring to size. Now if the snap ring is to big for the hole, That is the ring ends meet and won't squeeze small enough to fit the bore. You can use a small cutoff wheel in a Do-more grinder and cut a little bit off the ends of the ring until it will squeeze to fit in the hole. A bit of vaseline will also help slide it in.

BILL

Thanks, Bill , I'll try it. The friction rings are much thicker than on the original set, but this should work.
    John
    1986 58 MY "Longtail"
    Wickford RI

I found some new wheels at HD that I am trying on my Marquipt stairs. They are polyurethane which should
    wear longer than rubber. The wheels have an inner core, but the bearings are not at the shaft(bolt) they
    are in the sidewall where the black hub meets the inner orange edge(see pics). The wheels are the right
    width, but the hub is 1/4" too wide. You can spread the flanges on the Marquipt caster but requires a longer
    bolt. I used a side grinder and wood rasp to remove the width from the hub. I'll let the group know how
    well they hold up or not. No idea what the bearings are made of; saltwater will tell.

$10/each at HD.

John McCarley
    Water Colors - 1986 63 MY
    Wrightsville Beach NC
    Attached Images

I took one of mine off and took it to Grangers. They took the measurements and ordered new ones. The fit perfectly. Sorry I didn’t keep the ID numbers. If memory serves me I paid 18.00 each but that could be off.
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California