Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 21 of 21 FirstFirst ... 11 19 20 21

Re: New Sweet Melissa!

Quote Originally Posted by ThirdHatt View Post
    Uh, pardon me Mr. A/C expert, I don't claim to have anywhere near the knowledge that you have on the subject overall but these ARE chillers because that's exactly how they work.......
    What we have here is just a case of accidental mis-communication!

See quotes below. You first said chillers, then said "I just meant the A/C compressors." This lead me to believe you just had normal split A/C units...which is why I said don't call them chillers LOL no harm no foul.

Quote Originally Posted by krush View Post
    You said chillers, more info please. Is there an integrated utilities system?
    Sorry Krush, I just meant the A/C compressors. The boat has two 6-ton chillers and I was referring to the ability to run one of them on one 50A shorepower cord, but not both.
    Then don't call them chillers. Chillers cool liquid (usually water).

I see one other drawback to your A/C system, Byron. If one compressor goes down, you lose half of your cooling. With the 7 different compressors, if you lose one, you still have 6/7 of the boat cool.

I only mention this because my dad bought a new 49' Gulfstar MY in 1984. It had one big compressor hooked up to a forced air system like in your house. It worked just fine, but when we lost freon one time we had no A/C at all. Not a good situation.

The best scenario would be if you had valves to run the whole boat on one compressor. That would great and it would be hard to retrofit that to what you have now. Run two separate systems, but still have the ability to cool everything on either compressor if one is down.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

What we have here is just a case of accidental mis-communication!

See quotes below. You first said chillers, then said "I just meant the A/C compressors." This lead me to believe you just had normal split A/C units...which is why I said don't call them chillers LOL no harm no foul.

LOL, I figured that. No big deal at all, I was just joking around with you because I know that you actually are an A/C expert. I guess really both terms are correct this time because there are two compressors and they are at work in a chilled water system. Same difference!

Quote Originally Posted by SKYCHENEY View Post
    I see one other drawback to your A/C system, Byron. If one compressor goes down, you lose half of your cooling. With the 7 different compressors, if you lose one, you still have 6/7 of the boat cool.

I only mention this because my dad bought a new 49' Gulfstar MY in 1984. It had one big compressor hooked up to a forced air system like in your house. It worked just fine, but when we lost freon one time we had no A/C at all. Not a good situation.

The best scenario would be if you had valves to run the whole boat on one compressor. That would great and it would be hard to retrofit that to what you have now. Run two separate systems, but still have the ability to cool everything on either compressor if one is down.
    Actually Sky, it is already set up to run on one or two compressors. I have never used both at the same time because I have been pleased with more than acceptable heating/cooling from running just one. Now, surely in the summer with several folks on board and all 11 air handlers blowing, I will need both units running.

They work in sequence. The water needs to be chilled to a certain temp for the air handlers to be able to extract cool air and the more air handlers removing the chill from the water then the more need for compressors to chill the water. Even on heavy use days, if you're only cooling or heating up to 1/2 the boat, you would have maximum cooling or heating from just one unit. The need to run two at the same time is when the demand is high on the system with most or all of the air handlers running. Even if one unit looses freon or goes out completely, it does not inhibit the system from functioning just fine. The whole boat will still get cool or warm, just not cold or hot!

Then don't call them chillers. Chillers cool liquid (usually water).

Everybody sure calls them chillers, whether MARINE air con techs, brokers, builders or owners...

Chillers are pretty much standard on boats over 65/70... More efficient and practical than individual condensers
    Last edited by Pascal; 02-14-2010 at 12:28 AM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Pascal View Post
    Everybody sure calls them chillers, whether MARINE air con techs, brokers, builders or owners...

Chillers are pretty much standard on boats over 65/70... More efficient and practical than individual condensers

Thanks for helping Byron and me out, but we figured out what a chiller is already a few posts up :P

Actually Sky, it is already set up to run on one or two compressors. I have never used both at the same time because I have been pleased with more than acceptable heating/cooling from running just one. Now, surely in the summer with several folks on board and all 11 air handlers blowing, I will need both units running.

They work in sequence. The water needs to be chilled to a certain temp for the air handlers to be able to extract cool air and the more air handlers removing the chill from the water then the more need for compressors to chill the water. Even on heavy use days, if you're only cooling or heating up to 1/2 the boat, you would have maximum cooling or heating from just one unit. The need to run two at the same time is when the demand is high on the system with most or all of the air handlers running. Even if one unit looses freon or goes out completely, it does not inhibit the system from functioning just fine. The whole boat will still get cool or warm, just not cold or hot!

Excellent. The more I know about this boat, the more I like it.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI