Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Re: thoughts on spray/lifting rails

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    "The question was about Spray and the answer was about Spray!"

If that comment is relative to the overall thread, you better reread the title and the original poster statement...ain't no "payback" from knocking down spray!!!
    I have read it and the thread was laying dead EXCEPT for the question to me!

Which I answered and saw a PAYBACK from it for KNOCKING DOWN SPRAY!!!!

So what I did not see any PAYBACK because it was said here that it won't
    ROFLAO
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>

I think he is looking for info on lifting rails. Smart rails seem good for spray but are not designed as a full lift rail.

I've looked into doing this on my 46C which s based on your 45C's hull. I've seen it done right and with good results. A member here did his 45C and claims an increase of 1.5-2kts. He did have to modify them a few times before getting it just right. Not all boats benefit from them and if done wrong, can lead to a stiff ride. Call Tom Slane. He can tell you the size, angles and length you would need for your boat. Make sure whoever does the work knows what they're doing. I spoke with someone who had them done on a 53C and he said the ride was so stiff that he broke some of the tabbing from the hull.
    Jack Sardina

Here are a couple of pics of the SmartRail 3000's I just installed on Old School (55c). They've given me about 1.5 kts. additional speed at cruise, over 2 kts. WOT, have the boat planing about 60 rpm sooner, and look to have dropped fuel consumption about 4 gal/hr. a side at cruise speed. FWIW, the yard I went to has installed about 5 sets of these and has had no issues with either the adhesive giving way or paint not sticking to them.
    Attached Images
    -- Paul

Seems to me that lift rails have to be immersed all the time to work, and have to be at the back of the hull like you see in the photos above. Spray rails would be at the front, not necessarily in the water all the time, and would deflect the spray downwards- or so I'd think.

I think one of our members who used to have a 36C series I boat tried these, and I can't recall that they made much difference, but they did perhaps make the boat run a bit drier. (spray rails, I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by Paul45c View Post
    Here are a couple of pics of the SmartRail 3000's I just installed on Old School (55c). They've given me about 1.5 kts. additional speed at cruise, over 2 kts. WOT, have the boat planing about 60 rpm sooner, and look to have dropped fuel consumption about 4 gal/hr. a side at cruise speed. FWIW, the yard I went to has installed about 5 sets of these and has had no issues with either the adhesive giving way or paint not sticking to them.

Is that as long as they are looks about 6'?
    "DON'T BELIEVE ANYTHING YOU READ OR HEAR AND ONLY HALF OF WHAT YOU SEE" - BEN FRANKLIN

Endless Summer
    1967 50c 12/71n DDA 525hp
    ex Miss Betsy
    owners:
    Howard P. Miller 1967-1974
    Richard F Hull 1974-1976
    Robert J. & R.Scott Smith 1976-present

Mine run full length. I couldnt imagine not having them! ws

yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Quote Originally Posted by rsmith View Post
    Is that as long as they are looks about 6'?
    They're 8' long. I talked to the principal at SmartRails (Chris) and that's all he recommended. It nicely ends just before the area I'd want to sling in the lift, so I won't have to worry at all about blocking.
    -- Paul

I considered these for my 58'Cheoy lee Motor Yacht, but have not heard of any comaprable speed/planing improvments on motoryachts. I'd like to plane a bit earlier as I cruise @ 1850RPM and this is just a bit before planing. I dont like to run over 2000RPM.

Does anyone have any expereince with the Smartrails on a 53MY or 58MY and what the before and after cruise speed / rpm improvments were?

Clayton
    MV "Mystery"
    Cheoy Lee 58' Motor Yacht
    Trinidad & Tobago

Mine are made of some type of wood coated and wrapped into the boat with fiberglass. There just like the ones on yachtsmanWILLY except they are a consistent 4 inches wide and are angled down, they go the entire length of the boat. Thay are also mounted even with the bottom of the boat and climb up towards the bow. I don't remember ever having any spray.

Hey Paul

Even if a strap screws them up that bond will not break that glue is amazing. Had it happen once where the strap grabbed it even though I was using blocks to hold them off. The rail went back into shape within a few days. It is much easier if your not lifting in the area though so don't ever worry about that bond.

Mine run from bow to stern and hold the paint fine also. Guess some guys did not realize this must have missed the part of holding bottom paint that I said months ago.
    Which means mine are spray/ lifting rails
    Dan
    End Of The Line II
    1967 34C

EOTL II Rebuild Web Page

><(((º>´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸><(( (( º>¸¸.•´¯`•.¸¸¸><(((º>