Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 12 kw Onan

12 kw Onan

I have a 12 kw Onan generator 1983 vintage that ran off on me due to diesel mixing with the oil in the crankcase. The diaphram in the fuel lift pump ruptured and allowed the diesel to enter the crank case. I suspect the pistons/rings picked up the oil/diesel mixture and added fuel causing the run away. I changed the lift pump, changed the oil and filter and verified I had fuel to the injectors. The engine starts, makes noise and is smoking. It also isn't running smothly. Any thoughts as to what direction I should proceed?

Re: 12 kw Onan

If it was mine I'd be looking to do a compression test to verify the health of the engine. Anything could have happened there, bent valves, wiped out rings, or it could be something simple like a bad injector and residual fuel in the exhaust.

Short of a compression test, try loosening injector lines one at a time and see if you can isolate the problems to any cylinder.
    --- The poster formerly known as Scrod ---

I want to live in Theory, everything works there.

1970 36C375

I think there's still a 1983 vintage RTO 15kw available for cheap from another forum member. Let me know if you want it and I can connect you.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Also check voltage output prior to putting it on line, damage may also have happened in the electrical end

Thanks for your help. Doesn't look promising as I suspected! Any other thoughts would be appreciated.