Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: 58yf trim tabs

58yf trim tabs

does anyone know the measurements of the tabs on a 58yf 1972 model? i am going to extend mine about 4 inches with stainless steel . i would like to have the extensions made by a machine shop before i haul out in march. anybody here with one in winter storage that can measure them? thanks bigbill

Question Re: 58yf trim tabs

Not the answer but getting closer. The 58YF has the same size as the 53MY and 53C. I looked in my 1971 58YF manual and could not find a measurement..

Re: 58yf trim tabs

Darn Bill, had I known you needed measurements I could have measured the tabs on the old Sweet Melissa last Friday day while I was at the yard before she went back in the water. I'm supposed to swing by the yard again on Wednesday, so I'll look to see if there are any other 58/53 Classics on the hard.

How's your swim platform project coming along?

I, too, would like to know, for the same reason. Originally I was going to install blocks, but extending them aft makes better sense. Anyone know if the stock rams can handle the the extra pressure or do they need to be upgraded?
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD

byron, the swim platform is complete, now moving on to winter projects, after the christmas parades, of course. bigbill

stormy, not sure if the old rams will hold the (new) pressure, my tabs have not worked since i bought the boat, i will be putting a new pump(i switched to 12v) soon, and test the lines and rams to see if they hold pressure. if not they will get replaced with new ones, if there is a stronger ram that will fit in the same place as the old ones, i will go with the upgraded ones. i cant imagine hatteras using a ram that was rated at a specific capacity, and using it to its full capacity. i'm sure they must get weaker with age and use. this is not something that you would want to have to replace very often, with the price of the hual out . i am also going to mount underwater lights on my tabs when i add the extensions. bigbill

7. Re: 58yf trim tabs

Do the lights get mounted on the top of the tabs on the extension past the stern? How do you bring power ....from above the waterline I hope?
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

i plan to mount my lights on the aft end (the part that turns up for strength)facing aft. yes, i will run the wires above the waterline before entering through the transom. bigbill

i just spoke with the tech dept. at bennett marine..... he told me that they use a single ram on tabs up to 12"x42"....he does recommend replacing the existing rams with new ones due to age, and wear, since i am extending my tabs.(i'm not sure how old mine are). he also said, the rule of thumb with bennett is... if the rams are not leaking dont mess with them on original installations. he also told me that there is a concern with backing down hard, or getting in rough conditions with the extended tabs, that the tabs may want to be pulled down by the water pressure, and pulling down on the ram past its working range. he recommends a retention kit be installed when the tabs are lengthened. the part # for the retention kit is rd001. one kit covers both tabs, and costs about 77.00 dollars. ( cheap insurance, compared to the cost of a haul-out, and 100.00 dollars for the ram). hope this info helps others looking to do the same thing. I STILL NEED THOSE MEASUREMENTS........ bigbill

From another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by bigbill View Post
    standard trim tabs are 9inches from bow to stern, and are made in many widths for different size boats. 12 inch tabs are also made, but are not considered standard. bigbill
    Humm...wonder if that means we can easily change ours from 9" to 12"? I really need a bit more bow down now that I'm heavily loaded at the stern...all we might need is the width dimension. Humm...wonder if this might end up being an EASY project? haha...no such thing on a baot, but still...
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD