Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 22 of 22 FirstFirst ... 12 20 21 22

Thread: Captain School

Re: Captain School

Just looked up the GT on the 55C I ran last summer, and it shows 55GT.
    Randy Register - Kingston, TN
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

Now I'm really confused. This is another Hatt Trick which appears to be a 41DC or 41C.

(7 of 7) Vessel Name: HATT TRICK USCG Doc. No.: 519813
    Vessel Service: RECREATIONAL IMO Number: *
    Trade Indicator: Coastwise Unrestricted, Fishery, Recreational Call Sign: WYX7488
    Hull Material: FRP (FIBERGLASS) Hull Number: *
    Ship Builder: * Year Built: 1966

Length (ft.): 40.9
    Hailing Port: LYNCHBURG VA Hull Depth (ft.): 7.5
    Owner: R SCHAEFER OGLESBY
    2309 HERON HILL PLACE
    LYNCHBURG, VA 24503 Hull Breadth (ft.): 14
    Gross Tonnage: 28
    Net Tonnage: 22
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

my doc (53MY) shows 39GT, not 37... (typo in my post)

Sanctuary (58MY) is 43GT as per the USCG database (not some 3rd party service...)

That said, i looked up the GT of a 72 53MY on the USCG database and it shows 45GT... more than a 58MY.. go figure. and a 1977 53MY listed at 26GT but it shows a depth of 4' which is obviously wrong, it should be 7' like mine.

i doubt a 41DC can be 36GT... for instance, i see a 43DC in the USCG db with a GT of 26...

if you want to get this right, find the specs of the boat (hull depths, beam, and length) and calculate it yourself using the formula found in the attached PDF. using the numbers from existing doens't mean much, as proven by that 53MY listed with a 4' hull depth!

if you want to get this wrong, look up boat name in the members list, and search them in the USCG DB

the official data can be searched at
    http://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/st1/Coas...selByName.html
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Pascal; 01-29-2010 at 02:44 PM.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

That site is the one I used to get the info I posted on the two Hatt Trick's. So am I to understand the CG takes whatever figure an owner submits or do they verify these things?

I'll be getting a copy of the old document for my 58, so I'll be able to confirm it is in fact 58GT. Then again, Bill confirmed his numbers match mine.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

For my 41c
    Gross Tonnage: 24
    Net Tonnage: 19

Without me on it.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Oh Lord, now somebody is going to point out that your weight has nothing to do with gross tonnage.

I'm assuming the 41DC and 41C should be the same GT, but it would seem numbers are all over the place for the same boats. I see plenty of errors in reporting waterline length and beam widths as well as varying depth measurements. If calculating gross tonnage is that simple, it would seem the manufacturers would supply that information on all their boats, and there would be no variations.
    www.yachtrelocation.com
    www.Safes4Guns.com
    aka Freebird aka Sparky1
    1965 41DC #93

indeed, these errors (like the 53MY listed and calculated with a 4' Hull Depth) shows that teh USCG doesn't (and frankly probably can't ) verify all the data. so unless someone needs to get the data checked and recorded correctly.

also, i believe that when you are transfering an existing documentation, they will use the old nrs, which in case of our old boats would have been calculated, 20, 30 or 40 years ago. so this is why you're going to have some discrepancies.

teh document i listed explains how you can do a formal measurement or simplified... this may indeed explain the difference between what seem to be the same boats.

since tonnage is based on volume, a MY and a convertible should NOT have the same tonnage since the cockpit of a convertible is much lower than the aft cabin of a MY. on boat between 40 to 55', the difference should be 5 to 8GT BUT since in the simplified measurement you take the hull heigh amidship, the convertible would end up being much closer to a MY, the only difference being that the convertible is typically a little lower amidship than a MY. the whole aft area (cabin vs cockpit) would not have an impact.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Quote Originally Posted by Freeebird View Post
    OK, I did NOT bump this post to start an argument, but either these GT figures are wrong or the GT on my document info for my (and Willie's) 58TC is wrong at 58GT. It would also appear that the GT on my 41DC is 36GT so the 53MY has to be more than that.

Pascal, assuming your 53MY is documented, what does it list as your GT?

How about you Ang, what is shown on your 58MY?

Any other 41DC, 53MY, 58MY, or 58TC owners, feel free to jump in. I just want to make sure I get this straight.
    My document shows 39grt for Gross Tonnage (1980 53MY).
    Dave
    "Saraswati" - 1980 53MY
    Galesville, MD