Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Moving up, looking for a boat and guidance.

I am a newbie here and looking to move up. I bought a 1987 37' Marinette Marquis Aft Cabin as a starter boat. I have considerable time driving bigger boats but nothing larger than a 48' I consider my skills around the dock to be decent and don't find 48's intimidating. I am thinking that 53' if probably the limit for me on size due to cost and driving skillset.

I am looking to spend up to the low 200's. If I can go lower that would be preferable but I don't want to get into the situation where I have to spend $50k right out of the gate to get it in decent shape.

We spend our time cruising in the Tn River area between Knoxville and Pickwick. We won't have the time to do any long distance cruises for a while. I looked at a beautiful 48 last weekend but want to become more informed before I pull the trigger on anything. We cruise with two dogs and would like to have children so something with an aft cockpit is appealing. So far the non-cockpit boat we have has not really been an issue with our friends children but we have not really spent much time on the hook where we have had to shuffle dogs to shore. We prefer 3 staterooms but would consider 2 with the right amenities. It seems like most of the Yachtfishers and the like with an aft cockpit run about $100k more for something in nice condition but I have not completely confirmed that.

I would prefer to trade my boat if possible.

Are my goals reasonable? I sure could use some guidance on the whole MotorYatch and dogs situation.
    1974 Chris Craft Roamer 60'

Re: Moving up, looking for a boat and guidance.

(moved from the sale/wanted since this is more of a discussion topic. you may want to put a simple wanted post but lets keep the discussion here)

with dogs, you need a cockpit. plain an simple. sure, you could rig a ramp, etc.. but unless you have rat dogs, it's going to be a PIB.

if you dont' need 3 SRs, a 53 YF woudl work very well for you. if you need 3 SR and dockage isnt' an issue, you should find a 58YF for under 200k.

cockpit versions are a little more, but not 100k unless you're talking LRCs.
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

Agree re the cockpit. Depending on tides, for example, getting into an MY can be a challenge if you don't have dock stairs or the Marquipt tide-ride stairs. I realized you are on the river but aren't there changes in water levels as well?

We spent years 4 1/2 of our 53's 5 years with us without stairs/ladder and though we managed ok, it was "interesting" during some high tides. However, there were cases were some visitors were unable to get aboard.

As Pascal noted, dog-wise, with anything other than rat dogs, it would be virtually unworkable on an MY without stairs. We have Marquipt stairs - I don't know if they were standard equipment on all 53s but it seems that every 53 I have seen has them. But the problem with them is that they take a pretty large area on the dock and most marina dock fingers that we have experience with are too narrow to allow the tide-ride to fit. We have only been able to use it 3 times in 5 years when we were out cruising. Never been able to use it at either of the marina's the boat has been berthed.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

There is a 3 stateroom 53 YF, but its not the preferred layout.

Almost any older Hatt, especially a 53 or 58 as mentioned, could easily cost you an additional $50K right away to get up to speed mechanically and cosmetically.

You may wish to look at a 52' Cockpit MY. They typically have 3 SR's and a huge aft deck. Downside is the engines are usually 8v92's which tend to be thirsty.

Shop carefully. These are expensive boats to own, and even more expensive to re-fit.
    Last edited by SeaEric; 11-20-2009 at 09:13 AM.
    Eric
    41TC 1966 Hull #53 "Requisite"
    Kent Island, MD/Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"Though she creaks - She holds"

Nice responses. Keep them coming.

Tides will not be an issue. We are in the Tn river system and have a floating dock.

Re tides - the way we entered our 53MY was from the side, putting one foot on the eng room air intake vent area and then up from there to the deck. Even without any variation in tides or the use of floating docks these are two quite lengthy steps - especially the first one, and you must pull yourself up at the same time by reaching up/holding the deck rail. Also, some models of these boats have louvers on the vent opening and you could not actually use them the same way as you can on ours. I put a foot pad for that purpose in the vent area to facilitate using it as a step. Worked fine but, as I said there were cases where some people could not get aboard that way.

Obviously, if the finger extends far enough out or the boat is stern-in, then you can step off the finger onto the swim platform and go up the ladder. To me this is a much more of a PITA than using the eng vent "step." but it's a possibility - but again, not for dogs.

Here's a pic from the side - you can see the eng intake vent so you'd step from the dock to that vent then up to the deck. I don't recall if the tide was high or low at the time but based on what I'm used to, I'd say it was somewhat low so the step is less than it would be at a floating dock.

OOPS, just noticed, this is a floating dock - cant remember where we were at the time - so it does reflect what the "step" would be.
    Attached Images
    Last edited by MikeP; 11-20-2009 at 10:34 AM. Reason: add pic/info
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    Nice responses. Keep them coming.

Tides will not be an issue. We are in the Tn river system and have a floating dock.
    I have a couple of Hatts for sale, but it would appear neither of mine fall into the category you're looking at. As a fellow Tennessee River boater, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Knoxville to Pickwick represents one heck of a lot of territory, so where do you keep your Marinette? Speaking of Marinette's, I think you'll find the handling of a larger Hatt even easier than what you have now. Just be prepared for a shock when you start buying fuel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky1 View Post
    I have a couple of Hatts for sale, but it would appear neither of mine fall into the category you're looking at. As a fellow Tennessee River boater, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

Knoxville to Pickwick represents one heck of a lot of territory, so where do you keep your Marinette? Speaking of Marinette's, I think you'll find the handling of a larger Hatt even easier than what you have now. Just be prepared for a shock when you start buying fuel.
    I keep it at Hale's Bar in Nickajack. It has 454 Crusaders and burns around 20 gph at a 14 knot cruise. I prefer to run at 7 knots where it does around 7 gph. The small Marinette's with 318's sip gas compared to mine. How much worse is a big Hatt with Diesels?

My Donzi burns upwards of 80+gph if you get on it but that is covering some territory. At cruise it burns more like 40 gph (60mph)

I know that doing the major on the engines will be expensive. What kind of other big costs should I consider?
    Last edited by The Hedgehog; 11-20-2009 at 10:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Hedgehog View Post
    I keep it at Hale's Bar in Nickajack. It has 454 Crusaders and burns around 20 gph at a 14 knot cruise. I prefer to run at 7 knots where it does around 7 gph. The small Marinette's with 318's sip gas compared to mine. How much worse is a big Hatt with Diesels?

My Donzi burns upwards of 80+gph if you get on it but that is covering some territory. At cruise it burns more like 40 gph (60mph)

I know that doing the major on the engines will be expensive. What kind of other big costs should I consider?
    LOL I assume you've seen my 58TC on the end of E dock at Hales Bar.

Sounds like your fuel use is about the same as my 41DC which also has 7.4's, MerCruiser's. I actually get a little better than what you're getting and at higher speeds. Maybe you should look at it as it has a LOT more room than your Marinette, but you might miss feeling it roll around in your slip. Can't help you on a trade though as I already have one boat too many. Might consider the Donzi though.

Shoot me your number on a PM (I'll send you one now) and I'll look you up if you're going to be around the marina. I'm enrolled in a captain's class in Chattanooga starting next Saturday, and I'll be spending a good bit of time down there over the next couple of weeks. I'll tell you everything you ever wanted to know about owning a big Hatt, but were afraid to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by SeaEric View Post
    Shop carefully. These are expensive boats to own, and even more expensive to re-fit.
    SeaEric: do you mean Hatts in general or the specific models like older 53/58?