Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Bronze Flare Nuts

Anyone have a source for these?
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

Re: Bronze Flare Nuts

Curious why you need Bronze?

Brian

Perhaps you have noticed that the flare nuts Hatteras used are just a lot more robust than what you are seeing on the shelf locally? I suggest what you want are forged flare nuts (vs machined from bar stock). Mueller and Holyoke make forged flare nuts, as well as less expensive bar-stock based. The forged are stronger and less likely to have flaws (including porosity) - well worth the extra cost IMO. Also, go with long vs the standard short pattern for the extra strain-relief benefit. The forged stuff was typically used in refrigeration service- they seemed to be more interested in no-leaks.

The forged are also "brass" , but I believe they are the upgrade you are seeking. Just buy online if a local supplier can't/won't help you out.
    Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Degulis View Post
    Curious why you need Bronze?

Brian
    Because I'm paranoid! I don't want to introduce anything into the system that may induce any corrosion.

I'm replacing a copper fresh water line. I've already had de-zincification issues using brass fittings (I didn't know any better at the time) on my A/C lines so, I thought it best not to use too much brass. Plus, just about everyone on here says don't buy any fittings from Home Depot, and that's where I got the flare nut that I was about to use.

Am I being too paranoid?
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

5. Re: Bronze Flare Nuts

USe the forged brass if you like somehting more robust. Under normal circumstances a flare nut is not in contact with any liquid and fresh water should not be an issue even if it were.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

6. Re: Bronze Flare Nuts

I should have reminded others: far more significant is using heavy wall copper tubing..it's been discussed previously...in HOme Cheapo its the "refrigeration tubing"...trying to put a flare on the thin stuff is VERY frustrating....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler 45C View Post
    Because I'm paranoid! I don't want to introduce anything into the system that may induce any corrosion.

I'm replacing a copper fresh water line. I've already had de-zincification issues using brass fittings (I didn't know any better at the time) on my A/C lines so, I thought it best not to use too much brass. Plus, just about everyone on here says don't buy any fittings from Home Depot, and that's where I got the flare nut that I was about to use.

Am I being too paranoid?
    Not paranoid smart. But I don't think your going to find bronze flare nuts maybe but I've never seen them. The problem is Home Depot they carry the worst plumbing products. try Mcmaster Carr or a good hose shop the quality will be equal to your OEM Nuts.

Brian

Have you thought about using PEX? Chris on Couragous replaced all of his water lines with it. Easy to work with and super long lasting. Just courious.

Ben

Quote Originally Posted by Daybreak View Post
    Have you thought about using PEX? Chris
    No.

I don't have much experience working with copper and virtually none doing flare fittings. What I know about these I've learned here on this site and Calder's book. I’ve chosen to replace the copper line because it’s OEM and I want to get some practical experience working with the stuff. I’m not afraid to try something new and love learning new things, especially about the boat.

This Forum and the knowledgeable souls who share their gifts here are much appreciated! It’s scary to think of the kind of boater I’d be without the knowledge I’ve gained here.
    Last edited by Traveler 45C; 10-29-2009 at 12:32 AM.
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

Quote Originally Posted by REBrueckner View Post
    Under normal circumstances a flare nut is not in contact with any liquid....
    Didn't think of that.
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl