Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Stiffness - Hynautic Steering

Hello all,

My new to me, 1983 48 motoryacht is equipped with Hynautic steering. The system is filled with ATF at the moment and I am told that replacing the ATF with Hydraulic fluid would help considerably. Has anyone had experience with this and/or any other solutions for loosening up the wheel?

Thanks,
    Jimbo46

Re: Stiffness - Hynautic Steering

Your information is correct. ATF provides stiffer steering than 5606 Hyd fluid. It would be good to purge all the ATF and replace it with 5606B which can be purchased on line for around $15-18 a gallon (price might be higher now, that's what it was a couple of years ago). You can also buy Hynautic fluid which is around that price PER QUART. 5606 is the standard MilSpec Hyd fluid and used to be specifically stated by hynautic as the fluid to use until they figured out they could make money by branding their own.

BUT...don't expect a dramatic change that will alter the steering effort to that of a car with power steering. YOU are the power operating the manual pump at either helm so even at best, there is effort involved.
    Mike P
    San Miguel de Allende, Mexico; Kent Island MD; San Antonio TX
    1980 53MY "Brigadoon"

3. Re: Stiffness - Hynautic Steering

I've never heard of a difference between the two fluids, but MikeP does not post idle comments, so I'll take this one of his as also accurate.

Is the stiffness apparent at two steering helms? If so, have you checked the rudder shafts to be sure neither is bent? Is the stiffness steady or after a turn,say, does the wheel suddently turn easier?? Is there anything hanging on either rudder control arm at the stern??

Does anyone know of a hydraulic component issue that causes such stiff turning??
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Rudder packings being too tight can contribute to this problem but Mike is right in all respects. First change your fluid. ATF can make steering really hard, especially in cold weather.
    Will

5. Re: Stiffness - Hynautic Steering

JIMBO...whatever you do find it would be really interesting to post it here....
    Rob Brueckner

Disconect the Ram from the rudder linkage and see how it feels. That will tell you wether it's hydraulic or a rudder or linkage bind. Changing the fluid IMHO makes a big diffrence. In the Hynautic system a lot of steering efort is absorbed in moving the fluid it's just the nature of the beast. Other systems like Teleflex Sea Star require much less efort to move the fluid. There are self contained DC powered systems that are made to turn your Hynautic system into a powered system and they work very well. But they're sold mainly to girly men who wear high heals.

Brian

When I replaced the seals of the hydraulic cylinder on my 73, I found that if the bolts on the piece holding the seals on both end of the cylinder were not adjusted evenly, you could actually freeze the cylinder.

If someone adjusted this seals on hydraulic cylinder to correct a small leak, it might be a cause the cylinder to work sluggish and need more force from the Pump (you).

Agree that disconnecting the ram and test will be good to troubleshoot and find the root cause.

8. Re: Stiffness - Hynautic Steering

Post #6 is a great idea...And while its disconnected see how stiff the rudders are to move...maybe even do the rudders one at a time if you suspect excessive friction.
    Rob Brueckner

Jim, We have the same model Hatteras (mine is an 1982 MY w 6/92's) and we also share a similiar affliction with our steering system. Bob K as you know also has the same model and his steering requires a little effort as well, although not quite as much as mine. I have been told that a fluid change to the mil spec formula would help. It seems like that should be the first step and if it doesn't do the trick, proceed to the next step and so on. Mine has not been done as I can't seem to find anyone familiar with the procedure and I don't feel like providing on the job training at $100 per hr and no assurance that it was done correctly. Hopefully you will fare better in your area, please keep us posted.

Walt

How do you know that you have ATF in the system now? Red in color does not necessarily mean that it is ATF. The 5606 fluid comes in red and uncolored, so you might already have 5606 in there if it is red.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI