Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Those Darn Hoses.....

I'm getting ready to replace a couple hoses and was wondering if the trident blue silicon hoses are worth the premium? If so, are they worth the premium on AC lines, Raw Water lines, Exhaust lines and Coolant lines respectively? Or only in some areas? I appreciate the feedback and insight! Thanks./dle.

Re: Those Darn Hoses.....

Not sure if they are Trident or not, but I've been real happy with the new blue hoses in the ER's. I put them on the raw water, oil, coolant (still have the 1"hose under the engines to do for water). As far as A/C lines - been seeing a lot of white lines for the A/C stuff instead of the black or blue. The blue lines just plain look a whole lot better next to the chrome package. If your engines are color coordinated - might be another over the top choice for white A/C lines.
    Last edited by TopHattandTails; 10-18-2009 at 07:58 PM.
    Formally Top Hatt and Tails
    1980 53MY

I understood the Trident Blue to be for high temp applications. However, any below the waterline applications are required to be wire reinforced hoses, per ABYC, such as Gates Green Stripe. So for the AC feed, or other water inlet is below the waterline, I would think the Gates Green Stripe would be indicated.

FWIW, I used to have the ACE hardware clear reinforced plastic, which seemed plenty touch, until I learned of the ABYC requirement; I immediately changed to wire reinforced.
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...

The silicone hoses are much more pliable and easier to get on fittings w/o disassembling eveything............Pat

5. Re: Those Darn Hoses.....

When mechanics worked my engines, they used the blue silicone hoses for the air connections...don't know why....they did look neat....
    But after 10 years they get dull and do not look as classy as when first installed....they are easy to work but would seem to get crushed in any intake (suction) water lines application....don't know if they come with wire reinforcement....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Quote Originally Posted by spartonboat1 View Post
    However, any below the waterline applications are required to be wire reinforced hoses, per ABYC, such as Gates Green Stripe.
    Do you mean all intake hoses or all hoses, not matter what application below the water line be wire reinforced?
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

aside from looks, the primary reason for their use is durability and longevity. you will never need to replace them becouse they will not wear out. look into constant torque hose clamps to compliment the silicone hoses and also research why the special clamps and how to tighten them. I would think any uses off the engine would be a waste except maybe exhaust connections.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveler 45C View Post
    Do you mean all intake hoses or all hoses, not matter what application below the water line be wire reinforced?
    My interpretation is if a "below-the-waterline" hose lets go or springs a leak, you will have a sinking craft on your hands. Above the waterline, less of an issue, but still a concern.

Both of my mains raw water intakes are wire reinforced, Green Stripes, but are somewhat above the waterline. However, I definitely would not want to loose those hoses!

Maybe from the AC pump to the AC heads would be above the waterline and ok for blue hose.

That's my opinions...
    50 Years on the Great Lakes...