Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Norpro Generators

This past weekend our trusty old 15Kw Onan MDJF finally died after 37 years and countless hours of service. The crankshaft snapped clean through at the flywheel. After getting good reviews from pascal and many other good things I've herd, I plan to purchase a 17.5Kw Norpro 17NI. Simplicity in design and good factory support is paramount for me. I Plan on stripping down the old Onan in place than hoisting her out of the gen. room and extricating it through the forward berth hatch.

I got an estimate on the new generator of $11,945 including sound shield, 10' harness with remote panel, assorted maintance items "buddy Box". Unless someone has a better price I'll buy this one.

I'll take pictures of the old damage and the removal and replacement process. Mario
    Mario
    1972 58' Hatteras Yachtfisherman
    Siboney

Re: Norpro Generators

Mario,
    I sent you a PM with some suggestions.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

I just installed the Norpro 9kW in my boat this summer. I shopped around quite a bit and wound up using Joe DeMers of Sound Design Diesel. He had the best price by $400 - $500. It also helped that he has a shop here in Ct about a half hour away, and he stocks maintenance parts. I'm quite happy with both Joe and the people at Norpro, and would recommend both without hesitation. Joe's phone is 860-666-2184, and his website is http://soundmarinediesel.com/index.html

I had taken delivery on my unit at the Norpro facility here in CT, and when I called them about a month or so later with a question, I got the guy who put the deal together for them, and then loaded it onto my truck with a forklift. He knew exactly who I was, and took care of what I needed.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

hey mario how about a deal on a Yanmar genny?

If you are up for cheking it out zap me a PM or call the cell

407-739-5450.

I guess the NY is coming out. I know a guy....
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I was just researching Generators looking to replace my 7.5 1981 Onan. Got on NorPro site, www.4norpro.com/navigator_series_specials.html. It is showing show specials with a 9kw for $6744. I am planing on going to the FLBS to shop for a gen set. Does anyone have any other suggestions on which kind to take a look at.
    Thannks,
    captbuddy

the other two brands i'd have on my list based on experience is Northern Lights and Westerbeke.

but as mentioned before it's hard to beat the norpros pricewise, yet they are very well designed...

here is the site i told you about, they're not showing any marine units but that's where the PO got the 18kw I have on the boat.
    http://www.gopower.com/index.php
    give them a call...
    Pascal
    Miami, FL
    1970 53 MY #325 Cummins 6CTAs
    2014 26' gaff rigged sloop
    2007 Sandbarhopper 13
    12' Westphal Cat boat

here is a link to a company I know locally. great products built on yanmar engines

http://www.maspowerproducts.com/#products

I know the owner and he has a nice hatt so if someone needs a favor PM me.

I will hook you up.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

I sit here lit by power from a land based NorPro built to Central Maine Diesel specs. I make all of my power...no grid connection at all. CMD has ordered a very poor integration from NorPro in this particular unit.

As i have said before and most importantly, make sure you get a Marathon gen end. Stanford Newage fine also.

My personal opinion is that Yanmar and Isuzu are both very good engines for gennys in the size you are looking. I give the edge to Yanmar but both fine.

Mt $.02

Ted

I just installed a Norpro 15kw this summer as well. It is a good unit, but take a look at which control panel you are going to go with. The standard controls are analog and allow for placement in multiple locations. This is nice, but you don't get automatic overspeed shutdown with the standard panel. If you want that you have to upgrade to the digital controls. That panel is nice in that you can interface it with an inverter for fully automatic operation if need be. The only downside is that if you go digital, you can only have one set of controls so you have gauges at that set and only remote start buttons elsewhere with no gauges (hope that make sense).

The other thing I don't like and I may add it is that there is no high exhaust temp shutdown on the Norpro. So, if you loose raw water flow, you could burn up your exhaust before the high water temp shutdown kicked in.

Norpro makes gensets with Isuzu or with Yanmar engines. I went with the Yanmar as I think the part availability would be better. Many sailboats have Yanmar propulsion so you can find marine parts at almost every yard.

Other thoughts: The sound shield is worth the money. It is very robust and still provides good access with removable panels on both sides and on the top. My 15kw is very quiet compared to the old Onan. And, the generator end looks to be much easier to work on.

Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

The Worton Creek boat monkeys are at this very moment finishing up (I hope) the install of a brand new 9.9 KW Norpro. There have been no problems with the install except for standard ship yard suprevion issues. The old Onan MDKD came right out the hatch and side door (door removed) and the new Norpro slid right in my little Hatteras LRC.
    The yard is a week behind and will most likely finish today as the Nor'easter hits. I guess I can wait another few days before we head south to the Exumas.
    BTW The yard had trouble finding a 9KW Norpro. They say the sales promo is working and they are having trouble getting more Yanmar engines. I wanted the Yanmar and the one I eventually got was made the week before.

Skooch
    Worton Creek MD