Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Best Rod Holders?

Searched thru the threads and saw quite a few articles on water seepage into the gunwales around the rodholders, but not much on the types of rod holders ya'll are using. I'm assuming everyone with SF's has the Hatteras brand.

So, Hatteras SS or Perko Chrome plated Brass? Are there other manufacturers I don't know about that are better?

Thanks!

Re: Best Rod Holders?

Forget the brand and look at the way they are made.

Good quality stainless welded not stamped units are available from many manufacturers. Remember all the manufacturers also make cheap ones so be aware.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Check out Lee and Rupp for good rod holders. Be forewarned. They are quite proud of their products.
    Everyone should believe in something - I believe I will go fishing - Henry David Thoreau

There was an episode on Ship Shape TV (www.shipshapetv.com) that they installed new rod holders. The name is not one that sits on the tip of my tongue, but it looked very cool as there was also a locking mechanism for rods, grills, fender holders, etc. as accessories.
    Larry Kaplan
    Former Owner of
    1980 60' Sportfish

Lee and Rupp. Make sure you order the desired angle as well as backing plates.

Concur on the recommended choices of Lee, Rupp or Release. I would also recommend that once you have cut the openings in your gunwales, you use a "L" shaped bit (I use an old hex wrench) to remove the coring back past your holder fastening holes and fill with thickened expoxy.Then drill your mounting holes. This gives your gunwale more stability and prevents damage to the coring from compressi0on and seepage. My 2 cents Bob

Thanks for the replys. I found a couple of Rupps that look nice - and I'll definitely be coring it out and filling with epoxy to assure no water intrusion/strengthen the surface.

Check out Release Marine!