Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Re: 8v92's Coolant Capacity - 27Gal?

FleetCharge is a good product and will work fine in the 8v92. Another alternative is MTU Power Cool Plus 6000 coolant. Its my understanding this is the same as DD Power Cool, just MTU branded (MTU bought DD some years ago - 2000(?)).
    It comes down to what is more readily available in the supply chain.

Running 50/50 in in the south is not really necessary, its about heat removal. In my experience you don't need that much freeze protection. Especially, if you have Engine Block Heaters installed. Running in Florida and Bahamas, RPM Diesel recommended 10-20% coolant and the remainder distilled water (9 to 11% by volume per MTU), change ever 3-5 years.

On a side note, there are many boats in Florida that run distilled water and only the SCA. Not my recommendation, but just an interesting note. Personally, having factory Block Heaters installed and running 10-20% of Power Cool / FleetCharge by volume and the remainder distilled water has been a good solution for my 8v92s.

MTU Power Cool Plus 6000 coolant.
    https://www.dieseldash.com/23533526-...olant-1-gallon
    Best regards,
    --
    David

Thanks for everyone's advice. This is a great forum!
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

This is the coolant I use in his recommended by one of the best Detroit diesel mechanics. Got it at Napa auto parts.
    Attached Images
    SEVEN
    1979 53' MY Hull #563
    Antioch, California

Just finishing up some updates to my 12V71TIs. Got my PowerCool in and thought I would post the labels. 40/60 ratio is still good. SCAs already added. Part number on the label front.
    Attached Images

Ralph, is that a concentrate?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Ralph, is that a concentrate?
    Yes.
    You still have to mix with your water to get the ratio you want.

The premix already with water in it @ 50/50 is OWI-23519396.

https://dtnapartscap.com/parts-categ...ld-industries/
    PowerCool part numbers.

The pre mix usually is 3 to 4 bux cheaper. Purchasing chemical per gallon and then shipping/tax, It's still cheaper to purchase full strength and ad your own water.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-18-2022 at 12:18 PM.

Thank you.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

Maybe I missed a couple of the petcocks but I was only able to drain about 15 gallons total out of my 8v92ti using the block side drain plugs, the exhaust manifold drain plugs and the front "J" pipe drain plug.
    Also I got a lot more coolant to drain out of one side of the block than the other. Do these blocks have coolant passages that share the coolant from side to side or is each side independent of the other ?
    Last edited by IOLANI; 10-11-2023 at 08:41 PM.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

How many petcocks did you find?
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310

10. Re: 8v92's Coolant Capacity - 27Gal?

I was told that the Napa Heavy Duty (Pink) was the same as the Detroit Power Cool. I've been using it for years with no issues and its quite a bit cheaper than the DD stuff.
    Napa Coolant.jpg
    SCUSI
    1981 55C
    Hull #: 328