Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

8v92's Coolant Capacity - 27Gal?

I'm getting ready to change out the coolant in my 8v92TA's. In preparation for this task I have been gathering all the necessary supplies drain buckets, distilled water, Fleet Charge, etc. When I checked my DD Guide it states the 8v92 engine will hold between 24 and 27 gallons each. Can this be correct? Can anyone verify how much an 8V92 System cooling system should hold? Thanks.
    Last edited by Hat52MY; 10-07-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: clarificaiton

Re: 8v92's Coolant Capacity - 27Gal?

Mine holds 9 gallons total including the tank.

3. Re: 8v92's Coolant Capacity - 27Gal?

My Covington 8V92's hold 12 or 14, can't remember which. Maybe that's (27 Gals) for both engines? It does seem like an awful lot. Thx.

I was able to replace coolant in my 8v92TA's this past weekend. I was surprised to see one engine drained 23 gallons - drain cock valves at front engine bottom elbow (13 gal), oil cooler housing (5 gal), Right blower manifold (2.5 gal), Left blower manifold (2.5 gal)....lots of buckets!. Filled back up with every bit of 23 gallons. Is it possible the other posts noted earlier do not have turbos or possibly missing some of the drain cock valves? In any regards, I appreciate everyones input. Best regards./dle.

I'm looking for PowerCool and can only find on Ebay and not sure I trust ebay. I'm a missing a better source for PowerCool?
    I have 1989 8V92TAs. I'm leaning toward FleetCharge SCA Precharged at Tractor Supply full strength for $24/gallon.
    I'm operating in the Southeast& Gulf so understand Fleetcharge Precharge diluted to 30% is the way to go?
    So it looks like I'll need about 14 gals of the FleetCharge for 30% dilution for both engines, correct? I don't want to screw this up. Thx!
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Are you up north? 50/50 or to 60/40 (60%water) in the south is all you need.
    Order The real Detroit stuff and mix with distilled water for the 92s.
    Don't cheap out on what the weak part is on a 92.

A real local Detroit shop can order in what you need.
    With a serial number, they can confirm the capacity also.

Power cool also available pre mixed @ 50/50.
    Example;
    https://www.dieseldash.com/OWI-23519...0-mix-1-gallon
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-07-2022 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Ralph View Post
    Are you up north? 50/50 or to 60/40 (60%water) in the south is all you need.
    Order The real Detroit stuff and mix with distilled water for the 92s.
    Don't cheap out on what the weak part is on a 92.

A real local Detroit shop can order in what you need.
    With a serial number, they can confirm the capacity also.

Power cool also available pre mixed @ 50/50.
    Example;
    https://www.dieseldash.com/OWI-23519...0-mix-1-gallon
    Capt Ralph, I understand 92s need their careful cooling.
    A prior thread regarding coolant stated must use DD Power Cool with Supplemental Coolant Additives (SCAs) added, and mentioned adding SCA at the ratio of 1 pint SCA for 3-4 gallons of Powercool (I don't recall specific ratio). Your link is for OWI 23519396 which is "Power Cool Extended life" 50/50 without mention of SCAs. Do I need to buy the additive and add SCAs to the coolant in your link?

I do see DD part number 23512138 is DD Power Cool 50/50 with SCAs added but that seems harder to find online these days.
    Cheers,
    Eric
    BREAKAWAY 1990 Hatteras 52CMY

Just did mine and was 15 gallons a side. Used distilled water and power cool additive. No antifreeze necessary in our climate.

Base coolant works well.
    Keeping in mind, Other than freeze protection, Coolant and it's chemicals keep rust down, seals and gaskets fresh, cavitation and corrosion down. It is still the water that moves the heat.

The proper coolants to protect the 92s liners and O rings is where maintaining a proper coolant charge with all of its chemicals is beyond just working well.

The correct extended program includes test strips or lab results to guide the original coolants life. SCAs are added (then if needed) to increase certain levels of chemicals as the coolant ages.
    Big trucks don't dump coolant every 100K miles (monthly?), they test the coolant and ad what is needed.
    Tug boats & serious work boats don't dump their coolant either. It's tested and SCAs added as needed.

With the same attitude, our engine coolants don't require changes but testing and updating its chemical levels can help for years.

Sadly, this is not practiced.
    Boaters don't bother with it and replace coolant when its been abused and the coolant is brown.

If there is a real Cat or DDC shop around, ask them for the real coolant theory.

How ever you maintain your engines coolant ritual,, IMO, the factory products should be where to start.
    Last edited by Captain Ralph; 08-07-2022 at 10:56 PM.

While you are in there.... might want to consider adding a bypass coolant filter. I was amazed at the amount of sludge/sand/rust our coolant filter pulled out the first few times we ran it.
    Doesn't matter what coolant you use if there's a ton of gunk in your system. We flushed with freshwater 3 times and new coolant before installing the filter.
    SOUTHPAWS
    1986 52C Hull #391 8v92TI
    PENSACOLA, FL