Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Re: 8v92's Coolant Capacity - 27Gal?

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    How many petcocks did you find?
    Just the 5 I mentioned. 2 block sides. 2 exhaust manifolds and 1 at the J pipe at the coolant reservoir
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

Sorry, but one more question, did you drain the coolant into the engine bay and then pump into buckets or how did you deal with the old coolant? I’ve been putting this off for at least a year now.
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale

Quote Originally Posted by Sadey View Post
    Sorry, but one more question, did you drain the coolant into the engine bay and then pump into buckets or how did you deal with the old coolant? I’ve been putting this off for at least a year now.
    Good questions. I'm talking about the port engine here. One side note...this boat came up from Florida without conventional anti-freeze in the block but rather a de-scaling agent mixed with water . With winter approaching I needed to switch to anti-freeze.

On the inboard side I removed the access panel in the wall and I was able to get a one gallon bucket centered beneath the petcock. I drained the block into the one gallon bucket while at the same time running one of those drill operated pumps to transfer it up into 5 gallon buckets lined up in the hallway. That system worked well. The one gallon bucket also fits nicely under the "J" pipe up front.
    Outboard side a little trickier as the bilge rises steeply with the shape of the hull and it's tight. The petcock also pours right out onto the starter which I didn't like. I covered the starter with a sheet of plastic., turned off the bilge pumps and drained into the bilge. Then I used the same drill driven pump to pump it from the bilge to a 5 gallon bucket and finally some PIG wipes to soak up any residue left in the bilge. Hope this helps.
    1986 54 Hatteras MY IOLANI

The tub underneath my motors does not have a bilge pump so I planned on letting it drain into that tub, then pumping it out into 5 gallon buckets. I will try the 5 gallon bucket trip under some of the petcocks if they’ll fit. Thanks for the info!
    Dave & Trina
    Benedetto
    1989 60MY HATDK310
    Sturgeon Bay/Ft. Lauderdale