Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Electrical panel problem!!!

Ok, I have looked on all the forums and can't find a solution for my problem, so I am going to ask the pros. I have 2 240 power cords coming into the boat. They both show power coming in on the meters. The problem is when I move the switch over to the second cord I don't get any power to the boat. Now that we are getting into cool weather I need to split the power for the a/c on its on cord. I have checked the fuses on the panel and they look fine, but I am going to replace some that I think are questionable. I did get a very small amout of power to some of the lights when I switched the other leg to the house side. Does any one have an idea or a clue on what might be my problem. The boat is a 56' 1983 model.

2. Re: Electrical panel problem!!!

So you have power to the meters.

So find where they connect to your actual power supplies and begin measuring with a voltmeter towards your loads...that is work your way thru the back of the electric panel...it possible, for example, that your fuses are fine but the connection to the clamp in brackets is oxidized and you have no correction...maybe its a loose connection...like a poor crimp....or less likely a broken wire/cable....use caution because 240v IS potent ...OR....

shut off and disconnect all shore side power....test connections with an ohmmeter.....pull every fuse, test individually with an ohmmeter and clean each fuse and its holder with bronze wool or some other abrasive....and after reinstallation, spray with a moisture dispersant....
    Last edited by REBrueckner; 10-12-2009 at 09:21 AM.
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Electrical panel problem!!!

call me at 252-241-0803 and i will talk you though your problem.
    Roger Wetherington
    252-670-4819 rwetheringt@centurylink.net
    Sam's Marine
    www.samsmarine.com

Re: Electrical panel problem!!!

Your shore cords should be powering two panels. At the top should be a selector for A side or B side for each source. Make sure those breakers are switched on for the proper side that you are plugged into. Below that are 3 or 4 sets of breakers that feed each sub-panel. Put some of them on source 1 and the others on source 2.

The only other place to look is to make sure that the source is switched properly where your 120v breaker is. Mine is in one of the engine rooms. That set of breakers must be set to the 240v source or you will not feed the panel in the pilothouse for that source.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI