Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 3 of 56 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 53 ... LastLast

Re: Winding up for THE BIG FREEZE

Just another thought... I called a GOOD local outfit for an estimate to pull and repair the rail, or maybe just glass it in... JUDGES??? Does anyone here have a GOOD link for replacement rails? I dont want to go throught the hassle of changing these with some P-O-S. Thanks! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Bill,
    The rails of your vintage were mahogany but later they started to make them out of fiberglass. I would call Sams to find out if they have any of the newer style rails. If not, at least they could probably give you an idea of what they cost the last time that they had them in stock.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Thanks SKY... I'll hafta call them for availability...

Part Number: 72507A
    Part Description: Spray Rail P & S 15' Long
    Unit of Measure: PR
    Price: $1,390.00
    WHEW!!

Any input on these? Are they solid or hollow? If the latter how well would they hold up to impact? Mine are in fair shape for now and I had considered glassing them in. PROS? CONS?
    Spoke with the offender this evening and advised him of the report etc and he is willing to just turn it over to the insurance. The tricky part is to remove and rebed the rail, it'll hafta get refaired under it and painted etc... what a giant job... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

Geez Bill...Don't even think of glassing that wood rail to the boat. That would be a real invitation for rot.
    Maynard
    UNITY '86 36C

Thanks Maynard... Just trying to think of the easy way out of this mess! With several paint jobs and rail repairs in the past, I feel once the rail is removed, the correct approach will be to refair the hull AND rail then re-attach it. The culprit is insured with BOAT US and Ive always had good luck with them making it right. Time to call out a pro for this job. Ive got way too much to do this winter to tackle a job thats dependent on the weather window(s) here!!!
    The water cops showed up Saturday morning and filed the paperwork for the incident, so thats covered. I saved the guy a DUI, and felt ok about that, but what about next time???
    Heres some pics... his swim platform hit and flexed the hull just below the rail. Notice the bottom paint on his platform... ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-12-2009 at 02:53 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

So the MAN showed up Sunday and filled out the papers. Spoke with an ACCOMPLISHED repair guy that wants to pull the wood rail and replace it with a glass unit! Things are looking better! The inside pics show the water intrusion and point of impact. I am sure we are gonna replace some steering lines while we are in there! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Thursday, we got a call from a pal thats on the the ATB
    (Articulated tug/barge) Undaunted and Pierre Marquette 41. 163 feet ex USN ocean tug with 2 Cleveland 267s diesel electric units on a single shaft. Theres a bunch of pics coming up showing Ted, the hydraulic pistons to lockem' together,Sperry gyro compass and some neat misc. stuff... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Some interior stuff... USN boats always have a set of repeaters in the engine room in case the pilot house gets knocked out in combat!! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-24-2009 at 09:38 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

Underway backing outa the slip... The 41 was an ex lake michigan car ferry cut down to build the ATB... ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

AND NOW for some fun stuff...
    Cut a 4X7 foot section of skin off the roof and couldnt budge the fugger!!! I had to go back and disect a 2X2 spot just for the soft spot. What a PITA!!! I am gonna be asking for some help here on this one next week!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY