Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
Closed Thread
Page 1 of 56 1 2 3 11 51 ... LastLast

Winding up for THE BIG FREEZE

No rest for the weary... is there!
    With about a month left in the season up here, we are getting ready for the upcoming "other" season... Sooo... this weekend we finished getting the barely used washer/dryer combo and another dryer down through the forward hatch (thanks ANGE!!). Both units came out of a newly re-habbed condo and had about 3 loads run through each before the new owners installed full size deals. These were both $100 !! They came complete with books etc!
    So now that they are onboard, we need to do a restoration on the hatch and trim. It was a mess needless to say... ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-05-2009 at 01:48 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

www.flybridge.proboards.com
    Uncensored, no nonsense boating fun for adults

Re: Winding up for THE BIG FREEZE

Even tho the sub hasnt left the pen yet this summer, we changed the Racors and secondaries. They both needed it and only confirmed that one of this winters jobs is to cut the tank tops open and WASH the insides, then polish and replace the fuel. OH BOY... cant wait for that!!
    The fun part was that previously this week, I bought a 60lb navy stockless anchor off ebay for $35. This replaced the one that was lost on the TennTom trip 2 years ago. The pin had rusted out and when we woke up the next morning, the boat had swung 180 and was hanging on the stern anchor... something to be said about two anchors at nite!! ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

I used to think I knew everything until I found the experts HERE; Now I know I dont know SQUAT

The sub came with 350 feet of 1/4" chain, and, once again, due to the POs neglect sat in a wet pile, un-rinsed and rusted 3 links through on the center of the chain.. So now, do I replace it with 5/16'? The gypsy should handle that. OR replace it with a 50 foot chain rode and 250 feet of new 3/4" triple braided line? JUDGES??? ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

All chain
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Triple braid has no streatch so the chain would need to be the buffer. I don't know that 50 foot would do it. It would probably jerk the boat about a bit while a chain rode has the weight of the chain as a buffer and twist has streatch.
    Scott
    41C117 "Hattatude"
    Port Canaveral Florida.

Marine Electronics and Electrical Products Distributor.

Boy oh boy... I knew where this would go! I like the chain rode, even with the forward weight factor, but my chain ist aufgespeilt! OY!!
    So, I would guess the windlass should accept an upgrade from 1/4 to
    5/16. Thats good. The new line I bought was from WM with a thimble and marked "anchor line". Should I just keep that for use with my Danforth 33S as a day anchor? Its served me well at the beach etc. even when on a chain rode.
    Everyone thats looked at the chain remarked it looked small. I tried a piece of 3/8 proof coil last week and it will not fit the gypsy. ws
    yachtsmanWILLY

Allright now we have ourselves a good thread!! Though I am sorry season is almost over up north, I am really pumped for the projects and pictures

I echo what Sky says, all chain for me!

willie, if i had a hole (hause pipe) like that it would be shoootin water up all the time!! wow thats a big hole!!
    I drive Boats and Save People!!!
    See my projects at the link

http://s165.photobucket.com/albums/u...ter/?start=all

Sorry I missed this one Mike!!
    Anyway, heres a shot of a wrapped up 53 (SKY!) and a toy boat next to it! ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY

Wow, a little break in the whirlwind around here, so now I gotta get some help from you guys...
    Theres a few things that I need to get done before the haulout around the middle of October. I want to start this week weather permitting. The two big jobs are 1) opening up the cockpit sole to sqeeze the generator into the lazarette. Thats a no brainer. Once we get all the junk outa there and get the rotted sole out, I will get it framed out to recieve the unit, clean and painted etc, then shrink wrap the back end of the boat for winter and continue from that point.
    2)... Now the real deal... after smokin some shit (LOL!) had a chance to think things over. Looked at that 1965 50 MY last week and found a new appreciation for an open back deck effectively making the boat an extended top express. The sides of the upper salon being OEM are almost gonners now and will require a TON to repair them. That, and I really need to fix the roof where the water intrusion started from. This week I really want to open the outer skin and dig out the coring. Its an area about 6X10 feet. OK EXPERTS... what can I expect??? The layer between the inner and outer skins is about 1-1/4 inch thick cored material. IS THAT END GRAIN BALSA? Big Bill had his open and I need his input on this too!
    The failure started from a poorly bedded set of dinghy cradles. The through bolting leaked and went as far as the after bulkhead taking out parts of that as well. That bulkhead will get moved about 6 feet forward opening up the back deck substantially, with a sliding glass door for the better part of the new bulkhead.
    The cut out and repair needs to get done and semi finished before the snow flies. Stay tuned for some more stuff later this week... The pencil lines tho faint, shows where I need to make the amputation... ws
    Last edited by yachtsmanbill; 10-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
    yachtsmanWILLY