Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Block heaters

Block heaters

Anyone have any knowledge on block heaters for DD6V92TAs. How can you tell if they are working? How long should they take to warm the engine if ambient air is 50 degrees? 70 degrees?. Can they be left on for more than 24 hrs without burning them up?. Suppose they are left on while underway, would they be damaged? Could they be left on all winter especially during freezing weather?

Also are AIRSEPS (Walker) worth the trouble to install(and expense) and can someone with mediocre mechanical ability do it themselves?

Thanks Larry Valentine

Re: Block heaters

Instead of the Airseps, take a look at the Racor CCV's. They are easy to install. Search this site and you will find several threads that relate to this. Some have even taken out their Airseps and replaced them with the Racor product.
    Sky Cheney
    1985 53EDMY, Hull #CN759, "Rebecca"
    ELYC on White Lake--Montague, MI

Don't know specifically about the 6V92TA's......... but I have block heaters on my 8V71TI's

They are Kim Hotstart block heaters with thermostats. They are the immersion type elements, and as long as the elements are surrounded by water (don't turn them on after draining coolant) they should give good life. I have been using mine for 8 years now.

I leave them plugged in 24/7. The thermostats shut off @ 120 degrees and kick back on below 100 degrees. They keep the engine room dry and the engines fire right up whenever I want them. They are on their own breaker, so I do shut them off while underway, but probably don't have too. I must also say I pay a flat fee for electricity, so I'm not sure how much this would cost if I was metered.

As far as the Airseps go, I'm a Racor fan and have the Racor CCV system on my engines. I installed that system myself. If you go with Airseps, the older units don't filter the blow-by and it can quickly foul your aftercoolers. I helped a friend with 8V92TA's remove his for maintenance and the Airseps filled his aftercoolers with oily residue.

Do your research and good luck......

4. Re: Block heaters

Easiest way to tell if your block heaters are working: if equipped with thermostats, make sure they are ON....compare your dockside ammeter gauges on your electric panel in the ON and OFF position....

Engines should get warm to the touch in the area of the heaters within 1/2 to 3/4 hour...maybe less.....If coolant is unable to circulate then a bubble may develop and your block heaters burn up....often they are installed at a lower portion of the block to be sure warm coolant can rise....block heaters MUST be installed in a recommended location....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

I have Kim Hotstart Block heaters on both my 8 92 TI's and my 6 92TA's. The installation on the 6 92 TA's was a bit complicated but not so on the other engines. I have mine running on a thermostat in addition to the thermostat that comes with the units. I vary the thermostat settings in the winter when I am just looking to avoid a problem (ie. when temps are below 32 degrees) to having them come on in season below 65 degrees. They are really money well spent (as I am told) in reducing wear on the engines on cold starts. They also eliminate smoke on cold start up which my neighbors appreciate.

I have had the Kim Hotstart heaters years ago on a pair of 6-71s. They worked great. They do draw a fair amount, I think they are 1500 watts. An alternative to them is oil pan heaters, which are made by Wolverine- you can get them from Seaboard Marine, in Oxnard, CA. I had those on my Caterpillars, and have a new set on my Cummins diesels. They draw less, and they have the advantage that the oil pan stays warm, the heat rises, and the whole engine stays warm once they have been on for a day or two. You would probably need the 500w units. You have to clean off a place on the oil pan and then they stick on. I have mine plugged into an outlet in the engine room, switched from the main 120vac panel. They too work great- no problem ever.

I think Airseps work very poorly, if at all. You would be FAR better off with Racor CCVs, also called CrankVents, I think. You might also call Tony Athens at Seaboard Marine and see what he offers for Detroits- his company makes their own units for Cummins engines which are the best I've ever seen, if those could be put on your Detroits they would be the way to go. Less expensive, too.

7. Re: Block heaters

Regarding Jim's post above...just to be sure it's clear...bigger heaters ( say 1500 vs 500 watts) will NOT use more power over time unless you set the temps higher. The advantage of larger power units is they will heat your engines more quickly when you turn them on and may prevent freezing inthe engine room during subzero outside temperatures. In off season, setting the thermostat low enoguh to avoid freezing, say around forty degrees or so, is more than sufficient to avoid temperature extremes inside and subsequent condensation.....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.