Welcome to the Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery. Sign Up or Login

Enter partial or full part description to search the Hatteras/Cabo parts catalog (for example: breaker or gauge)
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Bow Pulpit Removal/Deck Repair 2009

I removed the Galley Maid windlass and with Mambeaux's help drilled the holes for a Maxwell RC 10-8. (My deck and pulpit combined thickness is a hair under 4" and a dry run install confirms that the Maxwell will fit without an extension kit)

I cleaned out the wet/rotten coring that I could reach and have been waiting for things to dry out. In the mean time I've convinced myself of the need to remove the pulpit to be sure that all penetrations get sealed with epoxy. For one thing I noticed that the bottom level of plywood in the plywood polyester resin "sandwich" of the pulpit (not the deck) is also wet!

I started on removal this morning and ran into a few snags about the same time that a squall moved in. I've covered over everything and took a rain break. Searching the forum I discovered and printed Gensis' 2005 odessey and am going to read through that as well as a few related posts.

If anyone has any more recent experiences that might be helpful and have not been posted or do not show up under a title search for "pulpit" please let me know.

I will let you know how things go.

Regards,
    Vincent
    Lilly Marie
    43 DC 1983
    Last edited by Vincentc; 09-13-2009 at 04:46 PM. Reason: correction

2. Re: Bow Pulpit Removal/Deck Repair 2009

Placing a 15 watt light bulb and or a small fan to help dry out coring will make a week dry out go in a day or two....a bit of aluminum foil will hold in some heat but leave an opening so hot moist air can escape....don't forget to coat the rope/chain hole with epoxy...

A layed plywood and epoxy pulpit is not so good, I discovered after making my own because it flexes and the adhesion breaks allowing moisture to enter....if you are able to repair yours I recommend adding ss angle "iron" and thru bolting to prevent the pulpit from flexing up and down due to anchor strain...an alternative is to run a diagonal length of ss handrail from the pulpit extension underside down and into your hull bow as a brace...

You'll likely think either suggestion not worth it, make your expoxy repair, and find wet layering again in a few years.....I learned, as usual, the hard way....
    Rob Brueckner
    former 1972 48ft YF, 'Lazy Days'
    Boating isn't a matter of life and death: it's more important than that.

Re: Bow Pulpit Removal/Deck Repair 2009

Thanks Rob,

Before I decide on how to repair, I still have to get the pulpit loose.
    I went back to the boat, and worked on removing the pulpit. No Luck.
    I completely removed all 6 ss bolts and found some significant core rot around the forward most bolt holes. I have removed the teak strips on each side of the pulpit. Studying the deck underside from the chain locker and also the pulpit from the top, I cannot find anything holding the pulpit in place. (There are 4 screws penetrating into the chain locker deck near the bow stem which are coming from the top but nothing is evident from the topside of the pulpit above those screw points.

The steel anchor roller frame has a death grip on the FG pulpit. It does not budge and I've ruined a wood chisel trying to slide it between the metal frame and the pulpit. I've pried the rear end of the pulpit and it will move about 1/4 inch from the deck, and acts like it is somehow screwed into the deck. I cannot find any screw heads on the top of the pulpit. Perhaps it is just 5200?

Any suggestions? Perhaps someone can tell me what I am missing before I break something.

Regards,
    Vincent
    Lilly Marie
    43 DC 1983

Recommend contacting Hatt for the removal instructinos. They may be helpful.

There is probably lots of 5200 under there.
    Trav
    45C 447, Series I, '72
    Pensacola, Fl

Getting ready to tackle the same project on my LRC. Can you tell me how you found the piece on Genesis. I tried to search and can't find anything. I too have soft spots in my deck I need to repair before installing my new windless.
    Thanks,
    captbuddy

Capt. Buddy,
    I did his job a year or so ago. The tread should come up with a seatch for "pulpit". Also email me if you have specific questions I will be happy to help. It was a very hard dirty crappy job as I ended up replacing half the core in the bow deck from under the vee bunk and anchor closet.
    David
    Skooch
    42 LRC 1980

I've removed the 4 bolts from the anchor chute and two bolts from the aft corners of the pulpit. The pulpit is still firmly adhered to the deck and the chute to the pulpit. Hatteras customer service advises that there should be nothing else holding the chute to the pulpit or the pulpit to the deck, save the 5200. I am going to purchase some piano wire and attempt to saw through the adhesive between the pulpit and the deck.

I did notice that there are about 4 screw points penetrating through the underside of the deck in the chain locker at the forwardmost end of the deck coring. Any screw heads would be underneath the anchor chute. Any idea what these are?
    Thanks,
    Vincent
    43 DC 1983 Lilly Marie

Quote Originally Posted by Vincentc View Post
    Hatteras customer service advises that there should be nothing else holding the chute to the pulpit or the pulpit to the deck, save the 5200. I am going to purchase some piano wire and attempt to saw through the adhesive between the pulpit and the deck.
    I have had good luck using Anti Bond 2015 which dissolves the 5200, but you need LOTS of patience to push it into the seam you're trying to part and then waiting for it to work. Heat will also soften 5200 but you need to be careful with that method.

You can buy Anti Bond at West Marine.
    Looking for another boat...not a Hatt

David,
    I sent you a PM.
    captbuddy

Update,
    $5 worth of adhesive remover, (white 8 oz bottle with red top from Lowes), and a couple of putty knives hammered slowly between the anchor chute and the pulpint released the 5200 grip. It took less than an hour of persuasion.

Regarding the pulpit attachment, I am inclined to agree with Genesis. In addition to the 6 bolts, there are screws holding the pulpit to the deck. I have hacksawed 3 so far, after prying up the aft end of the pulpit as much as I could. I have not encountered any kind of adhesive or caulk yet between the pulpit and the deck. It appears that the bottom layer of the pulpit is simply plywood. There was a bead of caulk around the perimeter of the pulpit but after 25 years, the caulk contributes little to keeping water out. Any way, water appears to have had excellent access through the windlass and pulpit bolt holes.

Suggestions on how to cut screws that are 6" or more from the edges of the pulpit will be appreciated.

Regards,
    Vincent
    Lilly Marie
    43 DC 1983